hard starting after riding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc49

Reaction score
i took my 91 out today.it started fine.after ten minutes of riding i stopped for gas and it cranked over real slow,then got home about 15 minutes later shut it off and tried restarting it and it spun over real hard for about four seconds and battery was like it was dead.its a new battery and cranked fine when cold.my 88 had a problem with a plug melting somewhere in the charging cicuit that yamaha fixed but dont remember exactly which plug.where would you start looking for the problem.im trying to sell this one for $3000 to get a later model.lost the sale due to the problem.i am not a person who sells something that has a problem like this.i fixed the bike up when i got it ,new tires ,brakes,battery,tuneup,and was running great all last year up until today.im hoping its not overheating which is what the cranking feels like but temp gauge is fine and fan didnt come on.any help would be great.thanks.

I think that if it starts/cranks easily after it cools down that it would not be a charging problem. If it's not starting because your battery is draining while riding then it wouldn't start later without charging the battery. It could be bad battery leads/wires or loose connection which will be exaggerated when hot due to higher resistance when everything is hot. Of course it could be your starter, hope not.

"full throttle when starting"??? that's not normal.

Matt

I had issues with my old starter on my 90. I got a used 4 brush popped it in to replace the 2 brush, no issues.. Funny due to I read the 90 had a 4 brush.. not mine.. well it does now...but I also put a Apex sealed battery shipped for like $50, this is it's 3 year, no issues, as a matter a fact it seems to be way better than the past 2 batteries I have had...

I checked the battery voltage and got 12.4 started bike and its not charging.my 88 had a problem with wires melting at regulator i think but cant remember.where should i start looking for wires that are melted.

I'd check the 3 stator wires first. The connectors are known for getting hot if they aren't clean. I solder mine on any bike I get.

Everything points to regulator.got 40 volts ac from stator.checked red wire has 12 v.should i try a voltage reg.since you cant test them.any good deals on the ones that go back in stock location.

Back