Hardly any posts about Delkevic stuff?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kball

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is only my second post and new vmax owner. I'm looking at replacing my stock exhaust on my 98 and checking out the options. I like Marks systems, look good and read lots of good feedback about them. Just don't know if I can swing the cost right now.

Found some old posts on delkevic stuff and fitment issues but I don't know if these problems have been fixed or what. Also the full system is about 2/3 the cost or less. What's some opinions from guys who have been around these bikes longer than I have?

I have the Delkevic slip-ons on my 85 and I had no fitment problems. They are the stainless steel ovals. I think they are 14 inch's long if I remember correctly. I get compliments on how they sound. I am running them without baffles. And I did not have to re-jet the carbs. If you go with a full exhaust you will have to re-jet to get the full potential out of a complete system. They claim a possible 5 HP gain is possible with the slip-ons.

Leecifer on here has the Delkevic slip on oval carbon fiber muffler's they sound nice and look good too, I've read on here it's not worth buying the header pipe as it's the same diameter as your stock header, also read there is some controversy weather the actual inside diameter is larger due to the fact that stock header is double walled and supposedly Delkevic header is single, if you really want the header I would call them and try to confirm, or maybe someone else on here could chime in and let you know, don't think you would really have a prob with rejetting as everyone says the v-max runs rich stock and installing a full system would tend to lean your bike out and I personally know of a guy who installed a complete Hindle system with no other changes and his bike was much faster and ran great.

Want the short and to the point?

Buy slips ons you like the sound of and looks of. Bingo done.... Any horsepower gains are very tiny if at all.

I ve run quite a few systems and if you like the looks of one over the other, then spend the money and buy the complete system.

The honest answer is that you wont gain much if any hp increases. The weight loss of the huge factory muffler is where you really gain the performance increase, not the change of the actual pipes per say.

Some may argue that they saw tremendous gains, but unless they can verify that a pipe only change made that gain its not what happened. If you add a complete system like UFO, VooDoo, Marks etc and you should jet your carbs to gain maximum ability out of the parts working in conjunction with each other. And that will show you an increase of maybe 3-7 hp with a pipe and carb jet change.

So honest answer, hp gain from Delkevic.... none. Weight loss... yes. Performance increase from weight loss... yes. Sound change.... yes. Looks change... yes.

Keep the stock head pipe, its durable and will stand up to abuse ALOT more than most of the other systems out there. Plus you can run your center stand still.

This link below will give you a full in depth review of the three most popular systems available on the market.

http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=25441

Back