Harley help....machinist?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethrobolas

Reaction score
Friend has a "fat bob". Sportster with fatboy wheels and big wide.....dyna tank. Triples are cracking. Again.
This is the first time this bike has been in my garage.
Should be a 41mm fork. Or a 35, 39, 49 or fifty something.
It's 43mm. No shit. Try and find a triple for a wide glide in 43mm.

Can I have a 41mm tree milled 1mm to accept his 43s?

41mm trees are plentiful. 43mm trees apparently do not exist.

Who can do it? How much do you want?

Shouldn't be a problem providing there is some meat in the triples which I would assume there is plenty.

Any competent machine shop can do a job like this

I made friends with the guys up the road from my house. It's a small family owned shop. They are always quick to help when I have a project and always charge very reasonable rates.

Max isn't wide enough. His forks are 10" apart, max is just under 8".

He is about to get it back the way it is. Long story. Him and his wife were supposed to come on vacation with us. Trailer the bikes somewhere nice and ride for a week. Been planned since january.
Drops off a broken neglected heap of cobbled together parts a week ago. Supposed to roll out first week of august.
Total train wreck. He has no fucking drive. No forethought.
He wants to weld it again.

This sounds like an episode of "Orange County Choppers," complete w/a 'deadline,' and missing only Mikey and Pops yelling at each other.

My advice:
ditch the company for the planned trip. He'll break down if he gets to the starting point, sometime shortly after getting onto two wheels because of his crappy deferred maintenance, and your wife and you will be stuck baby-sitting him and his wife/broken bike.

By all means just tell him you're not going to risk not being able to have quality time w/your spouse during your annual vacation. Tell him to take care of the bike, that you're unable to help him out w/the short time left. "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

A 'real friend' doesn't pull that kind of crap, and if they do, and you allow it, you're enabling the idiot to behave that way. I'm sure there are other episodes which aren't being mentioned which foretold this individual's actions.

See the attachment, always side w/"The Wife."

"Happy Wife, happy life."

Max isn't wide enough. His forks are 10" apart, max is just under 8".

He is about to get it back the way it is. Long story. Him and his wife were supposed to come on vacation with us. Trailer the bikes somewhere nice and ride for a week. Been planned since january.
Drops off a broken neglected heap of cobbled together parts a week ago. Supposed to roll out first week of august.
Total train wreck. He has no fucking drive. No forethought.
He wants to weld it again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 12
If you separate the vacation plans then not only do you save yourself the likelihood of babysitting but you wont have to screw around with a trailer. win/win.

Never weld a cracked triple. Like someone said if the 41s have enough meat rebore to 43mm. cheapest and easier, DOn't want to have that thing break on you while rolling.

He finally broke down and bought a whole new front end. $500 from demon cycle.
Just finished doing a strip and seal kit from POR15. That was fun.
Pulled his carb and scrubbed it inside and out.
Replaced his rear tire.
Still need to mount the front tire.
Need to install wheel bearing seals front and rear.
Waiting on steering head bearings so I can install the front end.

My wife had a family reunion this past weekend and fat bob came by to help put the finishing touches on the yard work and stayed to play chef the evening of the party so I could relax a bit and enjoy myself. Labor for labor.

My wife just called. Now my 6 year old daughter is complaining of symptoms, some of which line up with appendicitis. Been busting my hump trying to make this vacation happen. Supposed to roll out saturday morning. Not looking so good now. Oh well.

Such is life.

Thank you all for your advice and support. Wasn't meant to be. I just can't take a hint sometimes.

Why is it every Harley bike is a blur at stoplights? I look at them and cannot make out wording or anything, i can hear them so i know what make they are.
My wife she comments on bikes passing us, "thats a Goldwing, i cannot hear it".

Latest posts

Back