Has anyone found a SILENT FUEL PUMP?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul S Wilcox

Reaction score
HI.

I know it's normal for Gen I Vmax fuel pumps to click, right? I've noticed that clicking is loud enough to hear while idling at stoplights and it annoys me. Then again, most things annoy me.

Seriously, has anyone found a replacement pump that is silent or near-silent?

Thanks, guys.

Paul

Yeah, and the car dealer tells me the rattle in my dashboard can be eliminated with the 100-watt stereo turned way up!

As for the Mr. Gasket 42S, I see that it is quite long, with the fuel inlet on one end and the outlet on the other. Doesn't that make it a pretty tight fit and necessitate longer hoses?

Just curious

Paul

Paul you look way too serious in your picture. Just get you some ear plugs with a pretty tight fit that wont necessitate longer hoses.

Ok, you can, as I did and I think Morley or somebody here described doing, cut the plastic casing off the body of the pump. You now have a much smaller than the stock pump, inlet/outlet inline, little pump that is silent. My lines and pump are now in a much more direct line of flow, especially compared to the odd inlet/outlet configuration of the stock diaphragm pump setup.

Ok, you can, as I did and I think Morley or somebody here described doing, cut the plastic casing off the body of the pump. You now have a much smaller than the stock pump, inlet/outlet inline, little pump that is silent. My lines and pump are now in a much more direct line of flow, especially compared to the odd inlet/outlet configuration of the stock diaphragm pump setup.
It is interesting to note that the design of this first Gen and it's parts are pre 1985, just think if Yama had just taken the first Gen and revamped it and it's motor, frame, electronics, brakes front end etc,,instead of what they did do to make the 2nd Gen.

Yea and whats even more puzzling to me is with all the much, much more advanced, easy riding bikes out there, I still love and would not part with this 85 Yamaha Vmax.:confused:
True, and that is why YAMA should have just updated that machine,,no need for a total revamp.

Back