Has anyone installed this speedo????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Footnote just bought one last week. I'm saving up the cash to get one as well. Can't wait.

It looks badass. They have a video on utube showing it. I'm just wondering if it is a major project to install it. I'm hoping someone on here has one and can give me some guidance. I want it bad.

I have....

ed93693f2bd11b1ad4836e90e974a3dc71b18dcc.jpg

If you are buying from Digital Speedo's then John can let you have a V Max specific wiring diagram and fitting guide.
Alternatively I can supply a copy. The guide is a true work of genius and will probably be considered for a Pulitzer or Nobel Prize. (Can you guess who put it together??)

Assuming that you can read and understand a wiring diagram then fitting is reasonably straightforward. Get the same Hitachi type connectors as on the Max you can fit it with minimal changes to the OE loom.

Take your time and get one thing working before you move on to the next.

I strongly recommend that you also get the speedo adaptor which fits directly to the Max speedo drive.
Saves having to fanny about with magnets and wheel circumferences.

One issue that can cause some issues is getting the rev counter to pick up the signal. I took mine from the original rev counter feed and it worked fine until I changed to CoP's.
The RPM Signal Adaptor seems to have sorted this out and I believe that wrapping the rpm sensor wire around a CoP will do the trick as well.

Let me know if I can help further.

The RPM Signal Adaptor seems to have sorted this out and I believe that wrapping the rpm sensor wire around a CoP will do the trick as well.

What RPM signal adaptor are you using, can you give me a part number or a link? The wrapping RPM sensor wire around the coil, makes it better but doesn't make it correct. In my case, I can only get the RPM to show correctly either in low RPM (below 3K) or above. For some reason it will not read correctly throughout the full RPM range, it's close but not accurate and it seems it has a lot to do with throttle input. The slightest movement of my wrist throws the RPMs offd. I would like to try that signal adaptor before switching back to my old coils.

Thanks.

I got it but replaced the speedo and tach temp gauge so my unit sits where the tach temp gauge went. Wiring is NOT so simple and the advice to do one lead at a time is very smart. I may have an early version and did not have any plug and play options. Yes the tach signal pick up sorta crude and I am unsure how accurate it is. I do have the magnetic speedo pick up wired into my rear rotor. Dude, this tack has a ton of options and almost overwhelming. Once you learn how to operate it, you should have no problem timng your 1/4 mile blasts! They ain't cheap and I needed optional parts to hook up water and oil temps. I never got my fuel gauge working either but I'm not blaming the unit. It may be a "me" problem

I never used that one, but my streetfighter has a KOSO speedo on it, it worked great. A little bit of a pain to set up the magnets for the sensor and all, BUT if you get a V-Max specific one with the speedo cable drive you won't have to worry. As far as the the RPM sensor, on my FZR I just wound a coil of about 7 loops around the #1 plug wire and shrink wrapped it there. At least on that model there is enough RF interference traveling through the insulation to still pick up a signal. Not sure how it would work on the Max's electrical sensor.

i *may* have mentioned this speedo to mark. sorry mark!

Thanks guys. I have cops as well. I might just pay a professional to do it so I can get it right and use all it potential options.
Thanks for all your input.

Garrett I'm glad you showed it to me I fell in love right away. Just gonna do a little more research get the wife's approval and then I'll have it. Just wanted to hear from some people that actually had it and how it worked. Like I said I was looking into a shift light so might as well do it all at once.

Thanks everyone

I never used that one, but my streetfighter has a KOSO speedo on it, it worked great. A little bit of a pain to set up the magnets for the sensor and all, BUT if you get a V-Max specific one with the speedo cable drive you won't have to worry. As far as the the RPM sensor, on my FZR I just wound a coil of about 7 loops around the #1 plug wire and shrink wrapped it there. At least on that model there is enough RF interference traveling through the insulation to still pick up a signal. Not sure how it would work on the Max's electrical sensor.

I have....

ed93693f2bd11b1ad4836e90e974a3dc71b18dcc.jpg

If you are buying from Digital Speedo's then John can let you have a V Max specific wiring diagram and fitting guide.
Alternatively I can supply a copy. The guide is a true work of genius and will probably be considered for a Pulitzer or Nobel Prize. (Can you guess who put it together??)

Assuming that you can read and understand a wiring diagram then fitting is reasonably straightforward. Get the same Hitachi type connectors as on the Max you can fit it with minimal changes to the OE loom.

Take your time and get one thing working before you move on to the next.

I strongly recommend that you also get the speedo adaptor which fits directly to the Max speedo drive.
Saves having to fanny about with magnets and wheel circumferences.

One issue that can cause some issues is getting the rev counter to pick up the signal. I took mine from the original rev counter feed and it worked fine until I changed to CoP's.

Wow I didn't notice the smaller ones in your instrument cowl. What are those for ?
And how much did all that cost?
Thanks

Watch the KOSO youtube postings, go to their website, a very cool unit! Compared to a stock retail $ setup, not bad!

I emailed Jon about another speedo that I am looking at. Sent him pics of the bike and the handlebar risers I fitted. He went to the extra effort of playing around with some bars and risers to see if it would fit.

Top bloke!

Dagnamit, clicked the wrong button...

Anyways, these are pics of his bike. SWEET! :punk:

Attachments

• BADB2.JPG
    BADB2.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 58
  • P1040504.JPG
    P1040504.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 72
What RPM signal adaptor are you using, can you give me a part number or a link?

It's a Koso part - The labile says 'RPM Signal adaptor' + the numbers 09L and a bar code that reads *BG00400*.
Note that I say the RPM Adaptor 'seems' to have sorted it - due to various factors I have only been able to do a static test and won't know for sure if it has done the job until I ride on the road.

Wow I didn't notice the smaller ones in your instrument cowl. What are those for ?
And how much did all that cost?

I got them from Digital Speedo's - they are the Drift Iridium gauges fitted into a facia made by yours truly.

I would echo the sentiment about Jon at Digital Speedo's - I've he will always do his best to help and goes that extra mile to keep the customer satisfied. :clapping:

Back