Has anyone put sportbike subframe/tail on gen 1?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juansvmax

Reaction score
:rofl_200:I'm looking to put a 1999 TL1000s tail on my gen 1 vmax. Has anyone tryed anything like this. Maybe some do and donts. I know some of you may hate me for this but I found a pic of one and I like the look. I've sourced almost all the TL parts already. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 122
That looks like something from overseas. Maybe Max Midnight will pop up on this thread. Usually Americans see the Vmax as more of a cruiser....even forward controls...etc. Europeans tend to see the Vmax as more of a sports bike......as a general rule.

That bike was put together by Steve Beachill. (Link)

This is the last posting for that bike . It's in a general category so you will have to search backwards for more info. If you go forward (quite a few pages) there are also details of his latest build.

You basically go go with the hints posted above but will need to fashion parts on your own. Cutting and welding are going to be in your future as the frame sections in the rear are not removable on these bikes like they are on the sportbikes.

Well it looks to me to put a sports bike tail on you lose the vmax gas tank so you have to make one and put it where the faux tank cover is on the vmax and then you lose the shocks location (dual shocks on vmax) so you will need to fabricate a upper and lower shock mount to put a late model shock on....looks like a lot of work.

Also, that tail is not from a TL-S or TL-R Suzook..

It is in fact a 2000-2003 Suzuki GSX-R tail, and an Oem one at that with the seat cowl snapped on vs the seat and the stock tail light mounted..

So you know

Not looking to copy this bike. Just a pic for reference. Deff cutting and welding in my future. I'm hoping to somehow keep dual shocks and my tank. I guess I've got lots of work and testing to do. Lol. But that's half the fun. Thanks for the link. I'm trying to get all the info I can before I go at this. I'm thinking keeping dual shocks are gonna be my biggest feat. If anyone else finds any links or suggestions it would be great. I'm just hoping I can create my vision. Cause in my head, it looks awesome. :)

Not as neat looking as that tail but I did have an R 6 tail on mine . No cutting the bike frame just have to build a frame for the tail to bolt to the original frame. I bought the tail ready to bolt on but the frame would not be hard to do. No moving shocks or any thing like that.

Attachments

• CAM00616.jpg
    CAM00616.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 75
  • CAM00619.jpg
    CAM00619.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 70
  • 20140320_082456.jpg
    20140320_082456.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 80
Here's a Ducati one we did (but have seen the installs done without cutting like Kyle mentioned). I need to get some final pics showing where we put the turn signals into the air vent holes along the sides.

Sean

Attachments

• Prep for Ducati Tail Secion.jpg
    Prep for Ducati Tail Secion.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 2012-04-23_16-31-42_23.jpg
    2012-04-23_16-31-42_23.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Ducati Tail Section W-Seat.jpg
    Ducati Tail Section W-Seat.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 70
Wow! Both those tails look good. Didn't use the subframe? Just made your own ? Are they solid enough for a 120lb passenger? I like the dual shock staying

I know the ducati setup we did would support fat chicks with no problem. Here's another one we installed and its a standard offering we have sold a few times. We do make the under support since the tail manuf doesnt make them

Attachments

• IMG_20150109_144040_666.jpg
    IMG_20150109_144040_666.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Rear Seat Side View.jpg
    Rear Seat Side View.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Support Bracket.jpg
    Support Bracket.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1759.jpg
    IMG_1759.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1961.jpg
    IMG_1961.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 45
*support fat chicks, that's funny as HELL!!!:rofl_200:

QUOTE=one2dmax;391138]I know the ducati setup we did would support fat chicks with no problem. Here's another one we installed and its a standard offering we have sold a few times. We do make the under support since the tail manuf doesnt make them[/QUOTE]

*support fat chicks, that's funny as HELL!!!:rofl_200:

QUOTE=one2dmax;391138]I know the ducati setup we did would support fat chicks with no problem. Here's another one we installed and its a standard offering we have sold a few times. We do make the under support since the tail manuf doesnt make them
[/QUOTE]

I never tested mine for Fat chicks I guess I should have let Sean borrow it.:rofl_200:

I usually sit back there and bounce it! If it can support me then it will support anyone up to the limits of the shocks!

Back