Hayabusa front end on 85 max.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbybob

Reaction score
I just purchase a complete front end off of a 2003 Hayabusa.By complete ,i mean the forks,lower triple clamp,and axle...lol.Anyhow,i want to mount theses forks on my 85 max,and was wondering if anyone up here has done this yet,and if they could give me any info.Like,will the stock stem work?Who makes triple trees to mount these forks that wont charge me a fortune?Any and ALL input will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,guys!:punk:

I just purchase a complete front end off of a 2003 Hayabusa.By complete ,i mean the forks,lower triple clamp,and axle...lol.Anyhow,i want to mount theses forks on my 85 max,and was wondering if anyone up here has done this yet,and if they could give me any info.Like,will the stock stem work?Who makes triple trees to mount these forks that wont charge me a fortune?Any and ALL input will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,guys!:punk:

I was thinking of doing the same set up except keeping my Cazz wheel. If I ever get my own personal computer back I was wanting to draw up a triple set up and have it machined. let me know how it goes for you or any info you can share. :ummm:

G

Just an FYI, I believe Gen 1 busa has larger OD on the fork tubes where the upper triple clamp or extensions would attach. 55mm versus the typical 54mm.

The lower section of the tube is 50mm like most other current sportbike USD's

Bobbybob,
The bus forks are quite nice. I think you'll find them to be far too short to use on the Vmax, but I suppose anything is possible with $, a willingness to self-educate, and time. I adapted a set for my now-departed (mangled it well) Street fighter'd Triumph Sprint 955.

For a reference point on the work needed for those bikes, take a look at this link. It's an excellent step by step for that platform:
http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-fo...e-usd-fork-conversion-for-sprints-thread.html

Below is a pic of my conversion:

IMG_0477c_resize.jpg

IMG_0473c_resize.jpg

I miss that bike!

Man, there is like no rake on that set up. Wouldn't want that on a Max. Heck, I'd prefer to stretch it out further! Anyway, I posted a similar question a few days ago and with the exception of Maxmaniac has some making triples now. There is just too much to change or buy to make this a "cheap" mod. $1,500 easy and $2,500 if you want to do it right. I'm looking at Seans set up he has for sale right now.

Well i definetly do not wanna stretch it out anymore,and i actually think with a reduced rake,it would dramatically improve the old max's handling.Im sure a steering stabilizer will also be installed with this setup since the decrease in rake.Also,i have lowered the rear of the bike quite a bit,and the front could definetly stand to be lowered some.Then there are so many variables with the tire/wheel combo,as well as having the trees themselves raked a certain degree.As with anything else like this,it will most likely be a trial and error thing.But it cant be worse than the stock front end on my ole 85.I mean after 100mph,it really gets to be a handfull........kinda like driving a tee bucket hotrod,with a big block in it.I wanna be able to use this power,and not just have a "quick"bike that wont turn without steel nerves and a good insurance policy....lol

Firstly the busa forks will be way too short, you will be dragging the header pipes almost continuously. You will need a set of triple trees from COO or OTEC that drop the forks a couple of inches. Even then you will find that a set of 1 or 2" extensions may be needed (I needed them for two up riding as the bike was too low to go into a driveway without dragging). If you take too much rake out of the bike you will find that the handling goes south in a hurry. Toxic is unstable at low speeds, wants to pivot off the front wheel instead of turn, and a steering damper is a must. You will also need to have a new set of spacers made as well so the front tire is aligned properly. There is no "cheap" way to do this mod, although expense is relative to the size of your wallet:eusa_dance:

Well,the wheel spacers are the least of my worries.I can spin a couple of them on my lathe in no time.I already have a stabilizer,and have checked into the extensions as well.My biggest problemright now,is deciding what wheels to go with.Im just not sure if i wanna keep the stocker,or go ahead and put a 18 on the front,and get ready to spend more money for a rear wheel conversion.Im up in the air on that right now,but once the triple tree's are mounted with the forks in them,..ill worry about it then.One step at a time.

Firstly the busa forks will be way too short, you will be dragging the header pipes almost continuously. You will need a set of triple trees from COO or OTEC that drop the forks a couple of inches. Even then you will find that a set of 1 or 2" extensions may be needed (I needed them for two up riding as the bike was too low to go into a driveway without dragging). If you take too much rake out of the bike you will find that the handling goes south in a hurry. Toxic is unstable at low speeds, wants to pivot off the front wheel instead of turn, and a steering damper is a must. You will also need to have a new set of spacers made as well so the front tire is aligned properly. There is no "cheap" way to do this mod, although expense is relative to the size of your wallet:eusa_dance:

Where did you get your tree's from?..And killer bike too,by the way!:worthy::worthy:

If you have access to old Vboosts I did a write up on the Busa front end on an 88 and what is involved/needed to do it.

Back