Haynes manual

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
Anybody who does their own cat and motorcycle maintenance should have a copy of the Haynes manual - I believe the US equivalent is Clymer manual.

But how many own or should have a copy of this manual?

Screenshot_20210402-185323.jpg

PS what is the bike on the cover?

Last edited:
Looks like a BMW R1200R or whatever it's called. What's Willie G. doing on a rival's product?

"A day-late for April Fool's, the post is," said Yoda.

No, the manual is for real, I've ordered one and another for the cassini/huygens space probe.
They do this one, which made me laugh (also one for the English, French and Germans)

Go on tell me what the car is (I'm guessing Plymouth) and brand of hat.

Screenshot_20210402-193240.jpg

It's a Pontiac - 46'ish.

Colt .38 Police Special. (just in case you were wondering about that, too).

It's a Pontiac - 46'ish.

Colt .38 Police Special. (just in case you were wondering about that, too).
I think you got it. Below, a pic of a very-rare car, a '42. Same grille.

Pontiac Torpedo 1942.jpg

Because of the shape of the middle grille, I was thinking one of those 'tombstone' Packards, but the side grilles and turnsignals weren't correct. The bumper overriders on the red car appear to be much-more substantial than the Haynes coupe/sedan, whatever it is.

There is a story about the 1942 Detroit models. Because of Dec. 7, 1941, production of American cars nearly halted altogether. What trickle of new cars that was produced from 1942-'45, went to the military. Police, fire, and ambulances got a few, but civilians were going to have-to make it with whatever they had when the war brought us into the conflict. Materials such-as chromium and steel went to the war effort, not into automobile production. Old vehicles were sent to the crusher, to be scrapped and smelted into war products. Factory space went to building all-sorts of material, from planes, to bombs, boats/ships, tanks, guns, whatever the military needed. Instead of getting chrome, parts which normally would be chromed were often painted with black enamel paint. Some trim was eliminated.

Ford's Willow Run plant, famously was manufacturing B-24 Liberators at the rate of one an hour, by 1944. How Ford's Willow Run Assembly Plant Helped Win World War II | 2019-01-03 | ASSEMBLY (assemblymag.com) The B-24 was designed by Consolidated-Vultee Aircraft Corp., and built by them, and by the Ford Motor Corp. More than 18,000 were built by the end of the war. They flew higher, faster, and farther than the B-17 Flying Fortress, and were instrumental in the European Theater, Africa, and the Pacific Theater. Flight attack formations of hundreds of them would do terrible damage to military, strategic, and civilian targets during the war.

Admiral Yamamoto, after the attack on Pearl Harbor, was quoted as-saying, in his diary, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant, and fill him with a terrible resolve." He was correct. Why the Man who Planned the Attacks on Pearl Harbor Advised Against them - Visit Pearl Harbor

Willow Run MI Ford WW II production.jpg

Last edited:
More on the war effort, and Willow Run's B-24 production:

The American Ambassador to The Court of St. James (Great Britain) was Joseph Kennedy, a noted isolationist who wanted to keep the USA out of the war developing in Europe. It's said that FDR 'awarded' the ambassadorial appointment to Joe Kennedy to get him out of the country, where he couldn't lobby in-person against FDR's plans to support our allies, like the Lend-Lease Program. FDR was prescient-enough to understand Hitler's ambitions, and once he began overrunning eastern Europe, FDR had already been supplying our allies with raw materials, manufactured goods, and armament.

Joe Kennedy had several boys, two were men, actually, Joe Jr. was in the Army, while the middle brother, John, was in the Navy, Ted was not into double digits in age by the start of the war for the USA. Joe was the heir-apparent, being groomed to be a politician after the war, and he knew that the tag of 'war-hero' was a powerful tool for a political aspirant. However he was based stateside, and when his younger brother John accepted an assignment in the Pacific Theater, on a PT boat, Joe feared that John would win a medal and gain fame before he did. Joe finally was able to get sent to the conflict in the European Theater, and he assumed that as a pilot, he would soon see action. A medal and popular acclaim as a war-hero would soon be his! However, he was assigned to flying submarine-search patrols around England, not a way to earn a combat medal for heroism he coveted. He heard of an assignment which was guaranteed to be very-hazardous, but the details were not forthcoming, however, if he wished to volunteer, and was accepted, he would be training every-day for the mission, to begin immediately. Here was his chance, finally, to be in aerial combat, and to earn the medal he desired.

The mission was code-named Project Anvil, and while the target wasn't announced, training began immediately. He found out only what he needed to-know to be able to perform the tasks involved in the project. He would be piloting a B-24 Liberator to a target, but he would-not be piloting the plane back to his point of departure, his airfield base. Joe's job was to fly the plane to the vicinity of the target, then in the air, arm the contents of the plane, turn-on a remote-control autopilot where the plane's flight-path would be controlled by a high-flying plane above him, which would guide the plane to its point of impact, the ground target. Once Joe did his flight duties and armed the plane, he and his accompanying crewman would parachute out of the plane, and the overhead pilot in the other plane would direct the remote-controlled B-24 to its target. Why go to all this trouble? Because the plane would be stuffed-full of a powerful, recently-developed explosive, Torpex, which mixed TNT with aluminum powder to potentiate the blast. Napalm was the initial explosive to be used, but when the Torpex was developed, the decision was made to use it instead. The B-24 was filled with 21,170 pounds of the stuff, which was many-times the explosive in the V-1 ramjet 'buzz-bomb' or the faster than the speed of sound V-2 liquid-propelled rocket developed at the Peenemunde base by a young German rocket engineer by the name of Werner von Braun, 32 years of-age, who had avidly-followed the work of an American scientist who developed the first successful liquid-propelled rockets, Robert H. Goddard. Goddard's work was ignored by the US Army, but he found a champion and a sponsor in one of the heirs to the DuPont fortune, who continued to bankroll Goddard's efforts. The US Army saw no-benefit to the work, but a young scientist/aeronautical engineer in Germany did, and he took Goddard's pioneering work much, much further.

Project Anvil: fill one of the best planes we had with our most-powerful explosive, making it the largest explosive device ever-built, and fly it into one of Hitler's terrible new weapons which was being built to turn England into a smoldering ruin. What was this feared new weapon of Hitler? He already had the V-1 ramjet cruise missile, the supersonic V-2 which would fly into space itself, higher than any plane, before it fell to earth, silent and deadly with its payload of explosives. Since it flew much-faster than the speed of sound, the only time you would know of it was when the explosion happened.

Hitler's armaments experts had developed the next terrible weapon in the V-series, the V-3. This was a tremendous series of cannons of unprecedented length, built into the side of the earth itself. The concept was that as the projectile was fired, as it passed-along its time in the cannon barrel, another propellant charge in the gun would ignite, and this would be repeated several times, until the projectile exited the giant cannon, with a speed and range of the projectile never-before seen. As there were multiple barrels, the multiple cannons would be able to fire repeatedly, the target of such a powerful weapon would surely be obliterated. And, it was built on the east side of the English Channel. England was very-worried, and the Allies came-up with Project Anvil to attempt to destroy this German wonder-weapon, built below-ground and into the land.

Because of the need for the remote pilot of the B-24 to fly the unmanned aircraft into the V-3 site, weather had to be CAVU-weather (ceiling and visibility unlimited), very-hard to come-by in southern England! Joe Kennedy and his flight crewmember drilled, and waited. And waited. Until August 12, 1944.

On that date, the order was to proceed with the first Project Anvil flight. Joe Kennedy and his crewmember entered the loaded-with explosives B-24, and took-off. They were on their way, and prepared to make the in-flight arming of the plane/bomb's fusing. There had been issues with that in the design and drilling/practice stages, it was finally implemented for use, and as Joe Kennedy piloted the B-24, airborne fusing setup work began.

A woman outside her home close-to the English Channel, saw a large plane, flying low, and causing a racket as it was ascending from the airbase not-far-away. Suddenly she was thrown to the ground by a tremendous explosion accompanied by a brilliant flash of light, and as she tried to enter her home, she noticed that the front door was blown-off its hinges. Her niece, who was staying with her, ran upstairs, only to quickly-return, to inform her, "the ceiling has collapsed!" The roof was gone. Other nearby homes also lost their roofs. Windows were shattered up-to nine miles distant. It was the largest explosion in history and would remain-so, until Trinity, in Alamogordo New Mexico, on July 16, 1945.

There was nothing left of the flight crew to bury, there was debris over a one-mile area. Posthumously, Joe received the Navy Cross, he finally had his war-hero's medal.

The investigation was unable to determine exactly what happened, it was thought that in the arming of the aerial bomb fusing mechanism, something went tragically-wrong.

It was one of the strangest missions ever-undertaken by a B-24 crew, they paid the ultimate price, and history changed. The middle Kennedy son went-on to political success, until a sad day November 22, 1963. At that time I was a bit-older than the youngest Kennedy brother, Ted was, when his oldest brother, Joe, died.

The saddest thing is that the V-3 project was abandoned by the Third Reich. It was never made operational, it had a skeleton crew assigned to it, to give the appearance that work was continuing. The deaths of Project Anvil's flight crew were for-nothing.

Last edited:
The top secret documents pertaining to the flight were released under the British government's 50 year rule.
These include a recording of the final minutes communication between the plane's crew and control tower. This was before electrical recordings existed so was done by usually 2 people writing furiously on a note pad with a pencil.

The transcript ends with;
CT ( control tower) : "altitude 1100 feet, bearing 015"
Crew (unknown) ; "hey, Duane, do you know what happens if I press this bu"

Anybody who does their own cat and motorcycle maintenance should have a copy of the Haynes manual - I believe the US equivalent is Clymer manual.

But how many own or should have a copy of this manual?

View attachment 76230

PS what is the bike on the cover?
I need this manual desperately. It would sit alongside my Starship Enterprise Haynes manual that i got just Christmas passed.

I need this manual desperately. It would sit alongside my Starship Enterprise Haynes manual that i got just Christmas passed.
Don't forget the utility of this book, it's non-fungible, unless you're speaking of another copy and then it is fungible.

Whole Earth Catalog.jpg

Postscript to the last flight of Joe Kennedy Jr.:
There were two members of the flight crew of the B-24 Liberator piloted by Joe Kennedy Jr. The flight engineer and arming crew was a soldier named Bud Willy.

The Kennedy family, with Joe Sr. as patriarch, took responsibility for offering financial support to the widow of Bud Willy and her children. It was a generous gesture, as she was essentially indigent after her husband's death in World War II. This included a college fund for their three children, for-which the Widow Willy was very-appreciative.

President John Kennedy was in-touch with Mrs. Willy once he won office, and when he was planning a presidential campaign trip with his wife to the city where Mrs. Willy was living, The President of the United States and the First Lady, Jacqueline Kennedy, made arrangements to spend time with the Widow Willy. They agreed that breakfast was the best time for the President and the First Lady to see her, and to hear about the children, now adults, from Mrs. Willy. They all enjoyed the shared breakfast, and it was time for the President and the First Lady to meet Governor Connolly for their open-air limousine ride to the rally, they all said good-bye. It was November 22, 1963, in Dallas Texas.

Back