Head cover gasket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrapi

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking at my 99 vmax 's cylinders head I can see a leak of what appears to be coolant with some oil. Is it a leak from the head gasket cover?

IMG_20211116_134038.jpg

If so, a few questions:

- What parts should I get, beside the gasket itself?
- This can be done without taking the engine of the frame, right?
- What else can I do in terms of maintenance and preventive care, while I'm at this endeavor?

Shouldn't be any coolant up there!

Looks like oil only to me, as it should be.

Yes, engine stays in place. Rear one isn't too bad. Front one requires some disassembly.

Buy OEM gaskets.

Buy a gasket sealer such yamabond or ultra black RTV and put a small amount in the round recess

A high tack gasket glue is very handy in this application. I spray it on the new gasket then stick the gasket in the valve cover. It enough of a PIA to get the valve cover back in place let alone trying to fight the gasket falling out while doing so!

Good time to do spark plugs, plug wires, check v-boost cable tension. clean out the spark plug wells. \

Hi all,

Looking at my 99 vmax 's cylinders head I can see a leak of what appears to be coolant with some oil. Is it a leak from the head gasket cover?

View attachment 81332

If so, a few questions:

- What parts should I get, beside the gasket itself?
- This can be done without taking the engine of the frame, right?
- What else can I do in terms of maintenance and preventive care, while I'm at this endeavor?

If coolant might check the condition of the coolant hoses that go above there. And water jacket joints.

Thank you all for the replies and advice. 👍

I'm going to order both gaskets and change them.

If coolant might check the condition of the coolant hoses that go above there. And water jacket joints.
That.

As dried out and cracked as that cam cover is, your hoses are bound to be in close to the same shape. I'd go ahead and check them all.

Latest posts

Back