Head Gasket treatment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firewrench

Reaction score
What's the best product to apply to the head gaskets when installing? I'm using OEM gaskets. Both the motor I tore down and the heads I purchased had some sort of black, silicone like, material on them. I figured you guys would know what works best to seal the heads to the block.
Thanks
Paul

The black stuff is old gasket material that comes coated on the oem gaskets. I don't use any extra stuff (unless putting on copper gaskets). Install clean and dry. You've got the alignment dowels so the gaskets don't need tack spray to stay in place.

Sean

The standard head gaskets are multi layer metal. Has anyone taken a layer out to tighten up the squish area when the pistons are down in the bore? Can you reuse these metal gaskets if you spray some hylomar on them?

Thanks
Jim

You can reuse the gaskets but I normally do not do this. If you do you can use a coating of silver paint (the composition of most silvers is a heavy metalic stuff).

You can also remove layers like you note but the layers are there to allow for the heads to shift around. The best thing to do is get a thinner gasket (we sell this exact gasket made by cometic for us) to do what you want and still have all the proper layers.

The one we use is .027" thick compared to about .034-.036. Even they say you can re-use them but we don't do that either.

I do suggest getting the ARP head studs like we sell (we may be the only ones selling them). They allow you to use a much higher torque setting to help prevent blowing out your head gaskets.

Sean

I do suggest getting the ARP head studs like we sell (we may be the only ones selling them). They allow you to use a much higher torque setting to help prevent blowing out your head gaskets.

Sean

I have a small gasket leak since I last put my Vmax on a dyno and I'm constantly taking the side cover off to keep an eye on my coolant level :bang head:

There's a set of new head gaskets on their way and might get the heads skimmed depending on their condition.

I was wondering if you had more info on the ARP head studs you sell, what kind of torque will they take compared to stock? how much for a set? and anything else I should do to keep the heads sealed?

$120 for the ARP studs. Up to 70lbs and i think stock is .032 (updated)

Sean

Last edited:
Stock is 32... (If you can believe the Clymer manual.) Thanks for the advice today Sean. Wow, I can't even tell you how many times I've shot an email to Sean and he has answered my questions. You are a super helpful guy dude.

Hi, new to this game.
Can anyone tell me if a 1989 VMAX head gasket is the same size as 1990 and upwards?
Reason being my bore is 75mm and most are advertised at 80mm head gaskets.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe.

Stock they are all the same (though 86-93 Ventures are larger). Stock bore is 76mm while we have seen as much as 87mm (1570cc). I try to keep stock and aftermarkets on hand.

Stock they are all the same (though 86-93 Ventures are larger). Stock bore is 76mm while we have seen as much as 87mm (1570cc). I try to keep stock and aftermarkets on hand.
Hi Sean, I have watched some of your videos' on you tube long before i joined this forum , I now realize it was you i was watching , to me your a legend, please keep up the excellent workmanship , just wish there were more like you around . and thanks for responding , I have arranged with local dealership here in South Australia for a couple of genuine head gaskets, only cause supply is quicker then ordering from over seas .
Kind regards.
Joe .

The standard head gaskets are multi layer metal. Has anyone taken a layer out to tighten up the squish area when the pistons are down in the bore? Can you reuse these metal gaskets if you spray some hylomar on them?

Thanks
Jim
Old machine shop owner reused "new" gaskets if engine needed second overhaul after assembly. He used some copper looking spray.

Old machine shop owner reused "new" gaskets if engine needed second overhaul after assembly. He used some copper looking spray.
That is possible to do with any metallic based spray paint (copper, or silver both work). BUT, they aren't horribly expensive and no reason to reuse unless you have a time or budget crunch. This is for the MLS (Multi Layer Steel) type gaskets (which is what the stock Vmax are).

That is possible to do with any metallic based spray paint (copper, or silver both work). BUT, they aren't horribly expensive and no reason to reuse unless you have a time or budget crunch. This is for the MLS (Multi Layer Steel) type gaskets (which is what the stock Vmax are).
I remember I used it on Toyota Sequoia, I had to take engine apart 3 times. (It was not because I made a diagnosing mistake, I just liked doing it... 😭 )

Hi Sean, I have watched some of your videos' on you tube long before i joined this forum , I now realize it was you i was watching , to me your a legend, please keep up the excellent workmanship , just wish there were more like you around . and thanks for responding , I have arranged with local dealership here in South Australia for a couple of genuine head gaskets, only cause supply is quicker then ordering from over seas .
Kind regards.
Joe .
I’d like to second that Compliment, Sean your a legend and a wealth of knowledge that I questioned for Minute when I first came to know of this forum. But for just a minute so folks if he is a bit blunt and straightforward it’s earned just understand the Dude is on a different level then 95% of us. I have met the Cat on my way through his Home Town so I’m not greasing the man’s palms I don’t do that shit. I think it be wise to Trust the Ole Boy.

Just Saying

I’d like to second that Compliment, Sean your a legend and a wealth of knowledge that I questioned for Minute when I first came to know of this forum. But for just a minute so folks if he is a bit blunt and straightforward it’s earned just understand the Dude is on a different level then 95% of us. I have met the Cat on my way through his Home Town so I’m not greasing the man’s palms I don’t do that shit. I think it be wise to Trust the Ole Boy.

Just Saying
No doubts

Back