Head shake boogie!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

912er

Reaction score
So here’s my experience with the headshake issue on my 85. First the definition, let go the bars at 50, by the time I hit 45 the bars are shaking back and forth, by 35 they are shaking so violently that if you don’t grab them it will through your ass off!

Tried everything including the Furber fix and all the adjusting shown for the bearings, which in my opinion is way too tight. I spent 35 years as a tool and die machinist and CNC mill programmer working in the industrial, medical and aerospace industry. Preloading the type of bearings used on the Max is a bad option IMHO.

Fast forward from 85 to 2008, I replaced the rear tire with an AVON 170/80/15 which lowers the rear end and for the front end a 100/90/18 so that lowers the front. Over the years (decades) I’ve run all types of tires Dunlop’s, Metzler’s, Bridgestone’s, Shinko’s etc, and none made any difference in headshake.

The 170/80/15 and the 100/90/18 instantly removed ALL headshake and less wobble in high speed (100+) sweepers. Just put on a set of GAZI HX 335’s and that was a huge improvement!

So that’s my story and I’m stikin to it! :punk:

So the Avon tires and the GAZI rear shocks solved the problem for you, good results. I like to get the 'sweet spot' that you get for a few thousand miles when new tires are installed. Sounds like your OEM shocks were shot. Did you try testing them after removal to see how-shot the damping was? In my experience, it's the compression which usually deteriorates first.

Actually the shocks we not changed out when all turned to good. I did the tire swap three years ago which removed all head shake. I just put the GAZI's on when I had the paint done last week. The original shocks were pretty worn and I definitely had more wobble in high speed corners, the GAZI's really knocked that down. :eusa_dance:

I'm putting new tires on my '85 and I'm interested in the Gazi solution as well since my shocks are shot! Are the set you got easily adjustable for switching between riding solo and the occasional times I have a passenger or would you recommend setting them for my weight and riding style and then not touching them?

I called and ask the GAZI rep about the exact same question. First off I want to reiterate that the shocks were NOT the fix to the head shake, it was swapping the tire size that did it! 170/80/15 rear and 100/90/18 front removed all head shake.

As for the shocks the rep told me to go with my my riding weight when ordering and then the occasional two up would be fine, and I could easily increase the damping a few clicks if needed.

Back