header pipe discoloring?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellboy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've installed my new stainless pipes and have noticed that the down pipes are already discoloring for about the first 100-150mm. My old pipes were stainless but in bad shape so I replaced them. The old ones however, were not ever discoloured. Is it the grade of stainless or a sign of to lean/hot or is it just normal with some??? The bike runs great and I've only done about 500klm's on them.

Matt
P.S. Sorry if discoloring is not an actual word.

Matt,
A couple of things will cause the SS pipes to discolor. Carb fuel mixture setup? Does the new set have ceramic coating on the inside of the pipes? Wall thickness of the pipes? & as you mentioned the type/grade of SS. To see some slight yellowing/gold color near the heads can be normal, what brand are they?

something to also consider. If you are comparing the stock pipes as not having any discoloration that is due to the double wall construction (tube in a tube). Very normal for pretty much every system to have some discoloration over time. All the SS stuff will turn gold eventually.

Thanks guys, I think that the stock pipes are chromed? The ones I took off are stainless and quite heavy gauge. These new ones are from Sandybikespares . I didn't really pay attention to the thickness but they are very light weight. They are not ceramic coated as far as I can tell and my carb/fuel setup is all stock.
I'm guessing it's nothing to be concerned with due to how well it is running and nothing else has changed. As long as there is no obvious problem, I don't mind the look although nice shiny metal is a better look in my view.

The stock is mild steel and the outer wall is chromed. The separation between inner and outer walls is what keeps it from turning colors. The inner looks like shit if you ever cut one open.

Latest posts

Back