Header Pipes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good way to bring surface rusted / pitted, header pipes back to looking decent? I was also wondering about header pipe wrap.
I finally got my 91 to ride smooth.. Now it's time to get her looking right.

Anyone know of a good way to bring surface rusted / pitted, header pipes back to looking decent? I was also wondering about header pipe wrap.
I finally got my 91 to ride smooth.. Now it's time to get her looking right.
Powdercoating or jethot/ ceramic coating, I heard that the pipe wraps hold water and enhance the rusting process.

I sanded and painted my pipes with flat black hi temp paint and they look great IMO.
And I also read a lot of posts saying that pipe wrap will end up causing your pipes to rust all the way through which is why I didn't use it.

Attachments

• Right_Side_1024.jpg
    Right_Side_1024.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 30
I sanded and painted my pipes with flat black hi temp paint and they look great IMO.
And I also read a lot of posts saying that pipe wrap will end up causing your pipes to rust all the way through which is why I didn't use it.

Ive heard the same thing about the header wrap.

That flat black looks good.. How does it hold up to the pebbles and scratches?

I painted them 3 or 4 years go and they still look great.
I haven't had to touch them up at all yet.
I used was 2000 degree paint:
http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-248.../dp/B003CT4AKC

Any special prep work, because of the high heat, or just follow directions on can?
Also: How many coats did you apply?

I coated the resonator can from a set of pipes I got from one the guys on this forum. I have not installed it yet, so I don't know how well it will hold up. I just scotch brighted it to remove a little surface rust and used the high Temp Rustoleum flat black (looks like the same stuff on that link - got it from Wall-Mart).

I think I'll only need to do headers leading from the front.

Also, I guess I'll find out how difficult it is to remove the headers if I choose to go this route.
This would be my 1st time removing them.
I'm wondering if I should look for a replacement set, since that little heat shield near the cans, is coming loose. looks like one of the welds broke, on the right pipe.

How do header wraps hold water.. They get really hot when running. I'd think that the water would evaporate immediately once they got hot.. Reason I'm asking is I'm thinking about doing the pipes on my '85.. Really beat up after 30 years.

D-Max,
I didn't do anything special.
If I recall correctly I just sanded them with some 220 grit and then some 600 grit sand paper then painted then.
I pretty sure I srpayed 4 coats on mine but it's been quite awhile so I'm not 100% sure if it was 3 or 4.

Bill,
That was just what I heard from quite a few guys (online and at a few bike nights) that wrapped their pipes.
They all said that with the header warp their pipes ended up rusted all the way through in a few years.
Someone on this forum recently said his did the same thing after being wrapped but I don't remember who it was.
I'd think it is just due to the wrap absorbing water/condensation.

I have read that sanding and painting them with rustoleum before wrapping helps but that defeated the purpose of the wrap being used to hide defects IMO.
It was simpler to just paint them.
Here are some tips if you do decide to use header warp:
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-intercooler-piping/how-to-prevent-header-rust-p-559.html

I attached a better picture of my Supertrapp that I sanded and painted with that same paint.
I bought hem used and they had some surface rust on them but turned out looking almost as good as new.

Attachments

• Supertrapp-Painted-right-side.jpg
    Supertrapp-Painted-right-side.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 16
I used aluminum foil and some water. I googled it and tried it on a hidden spot, and for the most part, it cleaned up everything. Some spots were too deep, but surface stuff cleaned up just fine. After, I went over with metal polish, and they look great now. I don't have before or after pics, but I'm sure you could google how to do it.

Any special prep work, because of the high heat, or just follow directions on can?
Also: How many coats did you apply?

I coated the resonator can from a set of pipes I got from one the guys on this forum. I have not installed it yet, so I don't know how well it will hold up. I just scotch brighted it to remove a little surface rust and used the high Temp Rustoleum flat black (looks like the same stuff on that link - got it from Wall-Mart).

I think I'll only need to do headers leading from the front.

Also, I guess I'll find out how difficult it is to remove the headers if I choose to go this route.
This would be my 1st time removing them.
I'm wondering if I should look for a replacement set, since that little heat shield near the cans, is coming loose. looks like one of the welds broke, on the right pipe.

You guys changed my mind on wrapping. I painted my pipes flat black and love the look. Mine are stainless so, no rust. My stainless pipes are ceramic coated, but they got dull fast. I'm glad I did the ceramic coating because it has good insulation value, like wrap somewhat. I wipe them down with acetone and paint them with a foam brush every couple of years.
I always glass bead steel pipes before painting them.Hand sanding would work too.
Removing OEM is more time consuming than a full header system. Used systems come up for sale often.
Steve-0

Latest posts

Back