HEADERS-WHAT TO BUY AND WHAT TO WATCH OUT FOR

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkaz12-7

Reaction score
Hey all, this is Mike (new vmax owner)

I am looking over my bike closely and noticed the headers are in rough shape. they have a good amount of "rust/ white ash" deterioration going on. I know the shields are not removable. I am wondering if I should attempt to remove the pipes and sand blast them. Then send it out to be recoated or if I'll save time and money by just buying a new set up. I really do not want to deal with retuning the bike because I am not interested in the extra power right now. The mufflers look great (delkevic). I noticed where the bolts are holding the exhaust to motor are also looking rough as well. Giving me (that sucker is going to snap off vibes) I picked this bike up knowing it needs a good amount of tlc. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jet Hot coating will buy you some time, but headers need attention with the passage of time. You are posting in the Gen. 1 section, if you have a Gen. II your thread can be moved.

I'm not seeing any pics except the one in your intro. Looks to be de-catted. Is the problem area confined to the mid-pipes?

Oh. Looks like a decent excuse for a full exhaust. Was it a beach bike?
Tim Nash has some options with matching flashes. He could have something for those slip-ons too. They appear to be Delkevic DS70s. If so, I think they take his Holeshot tune.

Yea it was from the beach area in Virginia. I’ll have to see what the winter has in store for me. Maybe pipes are on the table instead of restoring these ones. I’m just going to ride it until the winter then do some more work

Absolutely - can't see how it'd hurt anything.
Just FYI, mine's mid-pipes were ROUGH when I bought it and I looked at refinishing (Jet-Hot has a facility in Burlington). But it was less expensive to buy a new pipes and slip-ons.

Attachments

• 20210128_100554.jpg
    20210128_100554.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 0
The stock head pipes were good so stuck with those.
Went with Delkevic mid-pipes which I'm real pleased with.
And Delkevic titanium X-Ovals which I wouldn't do again. They're great slip-ons but fit like a bitch on these Gen2s. Especially with the unforgiving carbon straps Delk provides. Frankly, uncompatible IMO.

Attachments

• 20220715_211746.jpg
    20220715_211746.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back