Headlamp bypass

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegetsinyoureyes

Reaction score
Is there any way I can easily bypass the headlamp so it is not on when starting the engine on my 95 jap import max, I think it's the same as the U.S. spec with the light on as soon as the key is switched, it may make for better warm starting, or does the lamp automaticly bypass when the starter is pressed?

I would assume you could just pull the fuse for it. I believe its the most front fuse under the faux tank.

Is there any way I can easily bypass the headlamp so it is not on when starting the engine on my 95 jap import max, I think it's the same as the U.S. spec with the light on as soon as the key is switched, it may make for better warm starting, or does the lamp automaticly bypass when the starter is pressed?

If the same as U.S./Canadian models, headlamp is bypassed when the starter motor is energized. Easy to check!
However, lots of owners install manual headlamp switches, just by splicing into the low beam feed wire. High beam still operates as normal.
Cheers!

Will splicing into the low beam feed burn the switch contacts, or would you use the low beam feed to switch a relay with a fused live from the ignition/battery? I suppose switches are cheap enough and easier to do!

You'd just be installing an addt'l switch point into the existing lowbeam headlight wire. As long as the switch used is rated properly, no burning will occur. All voltage feeds will remain the same as OEM, except now it'd be re-routed through the addt'l toggle. Use the toggle to disrupt power to the lowbeam when you don't want it on.

You'd just be installing an addt'l switch point into the existing lowbeam headlight wire. As long as the switch used is rated properly, no burning will occur. All voltage feeds will remain the same as OEM, except now it'd be re-routed through the addt'l toggle. Use the toggle to disrupt power to the lowbeam when you don't want it on.

Exactly correct. I think the toggle switch I used is rated 10 amps, has given no problems after 7yrs of use.
However, many folks go with a relayed wiring harness for the headlamp (see the Eastern Beaver website), to allow almost all available voltage to reach the elements. If you want to install a higher-wattage bulb, this is considered a necessity, because of the marginal wire gauges in the OEM wiring loom.
Cheers!

That's my set up with the Euro big headlight (100/80 watt) bulbs. Never had a problem with starting or the switch. My switch is on the handlebar just inboard of the right hand control.

Latest posts

Back