Headlamp

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnjacob53

Reaction score
I don't want to go to a HID light but I have heard that the newer lights out are a Real big Improvement over the OEM's. Is it true that some of the newer lights that I can simply put in the Original Housing will MELT:ummm: the Headlamp Housing? what would you Buy for a Improvement (im Getting Old and Vision is Well lets say is Less).
And what Part # in a automotive light works? I have a 1009-BP now a friend said a automotive # 9005 might work, Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Johnjacob53
Illinois

H4 or 9003 will replace the stock light, however don't exceed 55 / 60 watts you may melt the harness !

You can go higher but should get a heavy duty lamp connector so it doesn't melt. I would research the double relay mod for the headlight. It makes a huge difference.

I've been asking this question lot lately too.

The brightest bulbs tha you can just stick in your stock headlight are sold at advance auto parts in a pack of 2 for $50-60 they are h4 and the guys will know what you are talking about.

Thing is... You can go to ddmtuning.com and get slim ballast hid's for that same price after shipping.

Everyone who has hid's swears by them.

The picture of the light the bulbs make at advance auto parts looks impressive, white, bright and clean. But they will produce no where near as much light as hid's.

If you do a lot of highway driving, I think the bulbs will be good. For dark, country roads, sounds like hid's are they way to go.

I haven't decided yet, so let me know what you choose and what your impressions were.

You can go higher but should get a heavy duty lamp connector so it doesn't melt. I would research the double relay mod for the headlight. It makes a huge difference.
I think that if its only a replacement of the socket connector, that would be the fix .. I have another Bike (ZX11) that I think takes the same series of Bulb and Was told by a Friend that the Vmax and It share the same type of socket and Plug Thus thats why I was thinking I would buy a Pair of Automotive type that at Carquest are around 36 dollars ya know 2 birds with 1 package.

I've been asking this question lot lately too.

The brightest bulbs tha you can just stick in your stock headlight are sold at advance auto parts in a pack of 2 for $50-60 they are h4 and the guys will know what you are talking about.

Thing is... You can go to ddmtuning.com and get slim ballast hid's for that same price after shipping.

Everyone who has hid's swears by them.

The picture of the light the bulbs make at advance auto parts looks impressive, white, bright and clean. But they will produce no where near as much light as hid's.

If you do a lot of highway driving, I think the bulbs will be good. For dark, country roads, sounds like hid's are they way to go.

I haven't decided yet, so let me know what you choose and what your impressions were.
Thanks so much for your input and I will fill you in on my results,and hopefully give you some good positive feedback

We've got some new light assemblies as well that are a bolt in conversion! Need to get some good pics posted.

Sean

Sean,

Could you post more info and prices on your setups?

I read wonderful things about your products.

Thank you

H4 or 9003 will replace the stock light, however don't exceed 55 / 60 watts you may melt the harness !

Before I went all out HID, I used to run cheap H4 xenon 90/100watt bulbs and never had issues with overheating.

Just my 2 cents.....

Yes, I swear by HID's now since I am one who did the DDNTuning upgrade on my stock housing and love it!!! I ride country back roads and main highways here...

the sylvannia silverstar ultra bulbs are awesome and bolt in replacements. ask anyone who's ridden with me

I did a write up in the latest Summer Vboost magazine of what bulbs look like in the stock vmax headlight housing. Here is a picture below....

From left to right:

HID 55watt 6000kv
100watt xenon H4
Silverstar
stock H4 bulb

Attachments

• vmax_bulbs.jpg
    vmax_bulbs.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 114
I did a write up in the latest Summer Vboost magazine of what bulbs look like in the stock vmax headlight housing. Here is a picture below....

From left to right:

HID 55watt 6000kv
100watt xenon H4
Silverstar
stock H4 bulb

is that a silverstar or silverstar ultra? also i think the two on the right may look dimmer than actual because of camera angle?

I have the bulbs on the Facebook album and forgot they were there. I need to get good pics at some point. We are also looking at different bulbs to go with the new lens'

I just got a pair of ZXE bulbs. They are sylvannia's new bulbs. They are twice as bright and whiter than the ultras. Sold at advance. $60 for 2. The ultras are on sale for $45.

They have a picture there comparing 5 types of bulbs and the ZXE's look exciting.

I will probably still get HID's from DDM in the winter, but I couldn't resist.

I'll post updates and pictures.

Talking with a few people that have run the sylvania silverstars, I have come to find out they burn out quicker than these cheap 55/100 watt xenon bulbs off ebay.

i get about 7-9k out of my sylvannias and i use high all the time.

Ok. Here is the verdict for now on the ZXE's.

Went in easy. Normal bulb replacement.

It is day so I can not test them on the road, but there is a nice visible change in the color temp of this bulb. visibly white rather than yellow.

They come with a 12 month guaranty/warranty

the first picture is the old bulb philips 55/60w

The second picture is the ZXE's which is actually also 55/60w

i had to film them a little higher than straight on to avoid glare.

let you guys know how it looks on the road.

Attachments

• DSC06384.jpg
    DSC06384.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC06388.jpg
    DSC06388.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 82
The wiring also makes a big difference not just the bulb. Vmaxbitz used to have a improved headlight wiring kit to helped a lot. It essentially bypassed the wiring harness and was a direct connection to the battery.

Latest posts

Back