Headlight Option

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed in Mississauga

Reaction score
My headlight keeps slipping off the internal clip on the headlight bucket which leaves it held in place only by the springs, causing my headlight to vibrate as I'm riding which is fairly annoying. This coupled with the low light output has me itching to replace the entire headlight.

While searching, I came across this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Yamaha-V-Max-Vmax-V-Max-VMX-1200-Motorcycle-Custom-Chrome-Headlight-/151071572897?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232c9143a1&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

For the price... I'm a bit skeptical, however it couldn't possibly be that much worse than the stock headlight... could it??? Anyone have any opinions or even better, any experience with this particular item?

Thanks,

Ed

Quite a bit pricier but IMO the MT-03 headlight is the best looking headlight swap for the Gen-1. If I figure out how best to combine it with a halo/angel eye setup it will be on my beast in the next year or two.

djPknX6.jpg

2LrxYFR.jpg

pfgpeko.jpg

http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/ya...a-new-style-black-mounting-brackets-602-p.asp

Going to boil out to like $300-$400 US though. Pretty huge chunk of change for a headlight.

It comes in black and chrome so you can match it to your model's headlight bracket. One of those pics put the black light on a chrome plate and that detracts a bit from it I think.

It isn't an easy mount. It may require some fabbing. And I didn't see the bulb spec. I would pass. I mounted a 7" round traditional bucket w/a. h4 bulb & downtube double-bolt brackets. Upgradeable to an HID if you need it.

The 7" housing & lens is much better than stock at night for the halogen bulb. Look in advanced search for my screen name about it.

We have sold a few of those and have one on hand. They actually work better then you'd think. At some point it will fade like most modern cars do. The glass of the OEM doesn't do that of course.

Other options include the double light like KJ has (and I think I sell the same unit though you'll need to fab your own brackets) and some LED conversions we've made. We've even made some other conversions with clear (or blue tinted) headlights that fit in the bucket the same.

Sean

I think the vrod headlight fits the gen 1 well, and its much brighter

Attachments

• P8180310.jpg
    P8180310.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 297
  • P7080299.jpg
    P7080299.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 303
Looks like it fits like a glove. Did you have to come up with a bracket for that or?

:edit:

A quick google didn't reveal an answer. Is the V-Rod headlight a 7" ? That looks way bigger than the Max's stock 5"

I do like the MT-03 headlight and the VROD headlight... but both those are $250+ by the time i mount them, which is a fair bit just to replace the headlight.

The other is $45!! Even if it only lasts a handful of years... it's cheap enough to play around with.

Or just get a stock light that actually works right and upgrade to bulb to a modern H3/H4 or whatever they have out now for a lot less expense and headache.

You have to snip off stock electrical plug & use bullet connectors. Low beam wire goes to top bulb, high beam wire goes to the bottom bulb & both bulbs share the ground wire

Attachments

• IMAG0031.jpg
    IMAG0031.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 199
Myself, I would like to go with one of these headlights from a Honda VTX:
vtxheadlight.jpg

Combined with the headlight shroud that Honda used to offer as an aftermarket piece:
1102630646.jpg

I think when combined with either clip-ons, or dragbars mounted on risers that move the bars forward, it would help give the bike a more aggressive, forward attack stance.

Also, I would use Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs. For me, they are the best bang for the buck as far as headlight bulbs go.

The vtx headlight is great, but all the parts together cost the same or more than the v-rod headlight. Having had a vtx, though, I can say you would feel very safe with the light output. And it looks awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The vtx headlight is great, but all the parts together cost the same or more than the v-rod headlight. Having had a vtx, though, I can say you would feel very safe with the light output. And it looks awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The bright output and the look of the shroud around the headlight assembly are the big reasons I want to go that route. When I had my Honda Shadow 750, I wanted to do the same thing, but never got around to it. Was always busy trying to squeeze more power out of that motor instead LMAO!!!

I like Biker Dash's Honda shroud. Wonder if they are readily available and how much.

The mt-03 is super easy to install. There are no directions because you don't need a engineering degree to see how it mounts . I put mine on to see how its gonna look still waiting for it to be painted but it looks great & is super bright w/ a Sylvania ultra bulb.

Latest posts

Back