Headlight required

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayson Ottaway

Reaction score
My first ever post!

I was told about this forum by a Yamaha dealer in Rotorua, New Zealand.

Im after a replacement headlight for an 85 Vmax.

Condition not important need the internal adjustor mechanism.

Have tried wreckers and they don't have any.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.

Regards

I need more-light than the stock 5-3/4" headlamp provides.

Buy aftermarket 41 mm ears & mount a 7" headlamp w/a better bulb. The adjustment is in the 3 o'clock/9 o'clock mounting points for a traditional headlamp bucket. EMGO makes one for cheap, which comes w/the bezel and lens/bulb, the bulb is a standard size.

I suggest using ears which have two fasteners to the downtubes, ea. side, and rubber inserts for wrapping the downtubes, for vibration reduction.

Later-on you can go to a 'daymaker-style' projector system in the 7" bucket/bezel.

See post #26 first, then look at all:
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/headlight-option.29953/page-2

There are other options too.

Last edited:
Shoot forum members Jedi and Gunrunner a private message asking for some insight. They are in your quadrant of the earth and may be able to assist.

A 100 watt low beam bulb, ceramic plug and a relay kit did it for me. I'm not out driving my lights at night anymore. The 140 watt high beam I seldom need, it's super bright. Voltage drop is the big issue on the Gen 1's. Getting worse as they age. A relay kit solves that quick, bringing full battery capacity to the bulb.

Go to easternbeaver.com for a prebuilt relay harness. You can also get the parts to assemble your own setup there. I believe the pre made kit is about $60.00USD. EB also sells a great selection of electrical parts. The single fuse holder is what I used when I built my harnesses for my bikes. Prices are really reasonable, and he ships fast. He's located in Japan, just a short hop to NZ, lol..

If you upgrade to a Series regulator to get better, more reliable charging, he sells the furukawa connectors you will need. There is a lot of information here on upgrading the regulator, it is a great mod. My '85 went from barely keeping the battery charged to a 14.4 volt charge at 2000 rpm.

If you do swap to a MOSFET or Series regulator, watch the ones on EBay, as most of them are knockoffs. $15.00 for a new regulator shipped from China is a good clue you're getting a fake. Unreliable, and potentially dangerous as they can fail, and send high voltage to your system, causing much expensive smoke to ruin your day. PM me if you need any advice, I'll be glad to help you out.

And welcome to the Forum!

I'm sure i have the spares you need (they are the same as the 07 parts anyway). And, I have upgraded light kits (100/140 and ceramic connectors). Always best to email me at [email protected]

Back