Headlight/tachometer/speedometer lights out

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxAttacks

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a gen1 giving me issues with the lights for the headlamp/tachometer/speedometer are all out.

Headlamp fuse is good, I just washed the bike and the lights quit working. Is there another fuse box other than

the small one under the fake tank? Any help would be appreciated!

Hey guys,
I have a gen1 giving me issues with the lights for the headlamp/tachometer/speedometer are all out.

Headlamp fuse is good, I just washed the bike and the lights quit working. Is there another fuse box other than

the small one under the fake tank? Any help would be appreciated!
If it was the main fuse then I would expect everything to be dead not just what you have mentioned.

Are you saying it is the instrument illumination for the tacho and speedo plus the headlamp? What about the temperature gauge, is that illuminated?

The instrument illumination is fed via the ignition switch and this also provide a feed to the indicators; are these working?
The headlamp (high and low beam) are fed from the fuse via the start switch, high/ low beam switch to the bulb.

I don't see any obvious link between the two. As it happened after washing then you at least know what caused it.
You need to trace the wiring with a multi meter and establish at what point you no longer have power and that will be where the issue is.

Thank you for the help!!!

Upon taking off the seat I found the main fuse block... I took it apart cleaned the main fuse and spare, then reassembled the fuse block.

I then turned on the key and ALL my lights are working. Like you I figured it couldn't be the main or the bike wouldn't run. I was wrong.

Now as for it happening after washing must have been a coincidence as no water can get to the main fuse, it must have been vibration over

the years and dust.

To answer your question about the instrument lighting... Yes all instrument lighting and headlight high and low beam were out but I rode the bike with no other issues.

Thank you again and everyone ride safe!

Thanks for the feedback.

IMO Yamaha have named the fuses arse about face. What they call the Sub fuse provides power to what they call the main fuse block which IMO would be the sub fuse with the one that provides all the power the main fuse.

If I understand you correctly it was one of the fuses under the seat that caused the problem.

Should it happen again I would check if you have power both sides of the fuses which would confirm that as the culprit :) ...or not. :(

On a related note, fuses with a built in LED which lights up when the fuse blows are available. Of course these would not have helped in this situation where presumably there was no contact on the fuse.
Screenshot_20211031-102108.jpg

You guys are awesome here. Thank you for all the ideas. And, those glow fuses are a great idea, might have to invest in a few!

Oh yea.... I almost forgot... You are correct it was one of the fuses under the seat (main fuse) they actually put a spare in there, pretty neat!

Back