HEADS UP : ignition switch surprise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schudaddie

Reaction score
Stopped in at Lowe's the other day to pick up some odds and ends.....AS I was walking to my 85 max I notice my headlight is on. I'm thinking I've left the key in it or something stupid like that.:bang head: I check my pocket and I have the key. Looking at the key slot it's in the on position. I put the key in and turn it on and off several times and everything seems fine. So then I try to pull the key out in the on position and it won't budge. But if I turn it ever so slightly towards the off position and pull the key, out it comes and the bike is still turned on. Very weird. When I got home I shot some WD 40 in the switch and was still able to recreate this problem. Thinking back when I got to Lowe's I switched off the bike at the handlbar, left it in gear pulled the key and walked around the rear of my bike. This leaving it in gear thing means the neutral light never came on and since I walked around the back of the bike I never saw the headlight on or noticed the taillight either. This bike only has 30,000 miles on it and I'm the original buyer so I know it hasn't been abused. I just wanted you all to know about this issue and be careful when you walk away after parking your ride. The way I see it someone could have started my bike and well you know..... goodbye Max. Hopefully the vibration might have allowed the switch to jump to the off position but hey who knows. I'll be checking my bike alot closer next time I park it.
later, Bill

Good heads up. I have a habit of admiring my Vmax as I walk away. So hopefully I will notice if I have that type of problem.

Yeah, the Vmax key switch is a POS. I got rid of mine.

Good Catch....

I have a rule that works for me. I always look back at whatever vehicle I'm leaving. I catch stuff that's wrong all the time. I know that if I don't look back just one time, It'll be the time something very bad is wrong. Murphy's Law.

good to know, had lots of cars that did that, usually worn out key is the cause.

Back