Hearing noises...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgswss

Reaction score
I just mounted a windshield on my bike. Of course, I'm hearing things I didn't before. The one I wondering about seems to be coming from the right side of the engine. the noise is a wine that goes up with RPM. I hear it when I go up thru the gears under low load. When I pull in the clutch the noise goes away. If I put my foot in the carbs, I don't seem to hear it. I'm guessing it from the primary, wondering if this is normal, or a warning sign

Thanks!

Craig

Spooky! If you're getting some wine, I hope it's a good vintage!!

If, OTOH, you're getting a whine that goes away when you pull the clutch, you should remove your rear wheel, unbolt and remove the pumpkin, and check the big nut inside where the drive shaft goes - I bet it's loose!

Spooky! If you're getting some wine, I hope it's a good vintage!!

If, OTOH, you're getting a whine that goes away when you pull the clutch, you should remove your rear wheel, unbolt and remove the pumpkin, and check the big nut inside where the drive shaft goes - I bet it's loose!

I assume by "pumpkin" you mean the final gear case. Would the "big nut" be the pinion gear nut? Now I realy wondering if I should go on a big ride on Sunday.

Thanks!

Did you check your rear diff fluid. If its just a slight noise i would go on the trip because you have 12 or more vmax guys to help you solve it. And one of them is a vmax guru.

Fluid is good. I just on't know if something were to fail if I'm going to end up with my rear wheel locked up at 90 mph. Several times I had a noisy ring and pinion on my Jeep and I just drove it for a few thousand miles.

Not long after I got it, I had a leak in the final drive (just a loose drain plug) but i did drive it a while before I figured out the leak was from the final drive instead of the drain tube.

Well the fact that I can hear it means it must be fairly load, but I didn't hear it until I put on the shield and no one riding with me has said anything. I only hear it if the bike is under low load and i can't hear it at hi way speeds. So I guess I'll just see what some of you other guys say on Sunday.

Take a look at your axle bolts and nuts and make sure all is good and make sure your brake are the same. This will help you trust the bike more. as long as your tires are in good shape and have the right amount of air in them and the noise isent strong enough to say wtf than i think you will be ok. Just keep it under 70mph until we have a chance to see it.

Whenever you add a windshield, you can hear noises that you never hear otherwise. The shield changes the wind noise and directs some noises up. You probably have no problems if that is the only symptom/change you have.

Latest posts

Back