Heat Related Problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooligan Hedgehog

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction with a problem I have. My bike is a 2000 model which I've had from new and has 42,000 miles on the clock. When riding in heavy traffic, stopping and starting frequently with the temperature rising rapidly:- I am sure the fan is kicking correctly and the temperature never reaches boiling point. But as the temperature rises the engine becomes rough on idling and I have to maintain higher revs to keep it from stalling. Once when it stalled there was nothing from the battery and I had to let it cool before it would start again. I replaced the battery as a precaution (it was 4 years old so due for a new one). But the problem persists. So, it's heat related, any ideas what. All suggestions gratefully received.

Hi Guys, I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction with a problem I have. My bike is a 2000 model which I've had from new and has 42,000 miles on the clock. When riding in heavy traffic, stopping and starting frequently with the temperature rising rapidly:- I am sure the fan is kicking correctly and the temperature never reaches boiling point. But as the temperature rises the engine becomes rough on idling and I have to maintain higher revs to keep it from stalling. Once when it stalled there was nothing from the battery and I had to let it cool before it would start again. I replaced the battery as a precaution (it was 4 years old so due for a new one). But the problem persists. So, it's heat related, any ideas what. All suggestions gratefully received.

The red is what's got me confused...

Have you had the valves adjusted to specs? It may be that they are getting tight for some reason and when hot, it gets even worse...

Vapor lock?

I would do the normal P/M things... Fuel filter and check and or replace high tension wires (spark plug wires) and also check all the coils for cracking.

Have you done the solder fix to the "dreaded crimp connector" under the seat?

When close to the red line it's pretty freaking hot so it'll miss due to the increased temp. You could be having a low voltage problem with the fan running. Find a lower temperature fan switch, and you'll be golden. Perform the usual charging system fixes and either solder the 3 wire connection of the main key switch or do the power supply mod. Do the double headlight relay mod and that'll help the electrical system too. I'll include the circuit diagrams when I get home from work. I'll have to resize to post 'em.

Mark

Attachments

• headlight%20circuit%28update%29.jpg
    headlight%20circuit%28update%29.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 21
Hey Hooligan, my Max is an 85 with occasional similar problems. The hot starting issue you describe sounds like the starter problems I had. The starter problems are discussed elsewhere on this site and after removing and modifying mine, I can crank while hot almost as good as when cold.

The darn miss you describe while hot is also all too familiar for me. I have found my plug wires actually sending spark jumping all over the place while this hot miss is occuring - usually the back two cylinders. I finally replaced all plugs, plug caps, and plug wires and for a little while last summer it actually got worse. But with a little help on this forum, I finally figured out that I didn't have the darn plug wires inserted into the coils firmly enough - I guess, due to removing the battery occasionally I dismount those two coil wires and they got too loose to function properly??? Don't know exactly why, just that they do get loose. I ended up putting new o-rings into the coil screw-on cap in order to help keep the wire in tightly.

This problem is way easier to diagnose AFTER DARK obviously. Next time you get the chance you might check it out.

What I can't figure out is why the spark only starts jumping and causing an occasional miss after the engine is totally warmed up and not while it is cold.

I even toyed with the thought of getting rid of the resister type plug boots and going with a straight connection to reduce the likelyhood of spark wanting to go where it doesn't belong.

Anyone else ever experience errant spark issues?

Latest posts

Back