Heat Shield Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
Here's one out of left field......

Has anyone removed the rear cylinders plastic heat shield w/o any adverse effects?? Purely from a streetbike point-of-view.......I have a Morely-messaged Corbin seat just for aguments sake........

And just for clarity, I only ask because last winter I installed a red LED accent lighting kit on the motor and the front bank lights up more than the rear bank.......can't have that now........:biglaugh:

I think some people have removed it, but I'd be wary.

There are a lot of electrics just above the rear bank - main fuses, fuel pump, rear coils etc and if you ride in hot weather / stuck in traffic it could easily provoke a bit of a meltdown..

:punk: Hey, I removed my years ago and no problems. Good Luck, Spurs

+1, old bike had about 80,000 miles on it...no issues. But did get a bit warmer though but it was nice in the winter months.

I added LED's too, and removed my front and rear heat shield with no bad side effects. Looks good at night, and I don't notice it being any hotter than before.

I have been thinking about it and almost did remove them when I was doing all that work on my '85 My concern was that it gets so hot here in Texas anyway that it would be a bad idea for me. It gets well over 100 here for weeks to months at a time in the summer, Anyone here in Texas done it? I dont want to sound like a puss but I am not a fan of using my bike as a Guinea pig for experiments.

I have mine on Mike, but rode without it for a few months.Put it back on to retain stock appearance, which is going out the window fast anyway. I think it's to stop roasting your ass for the most part. Plan on ditching it again unlless I here it's a very bad thing-Sean?
Steve

I don't have it on my personal bike. Is that good enough? This was discussed a little bit at Thunder this year and a couple of guys think that it cooks the fuel pump and causes premature failure there but i've not seen any correlations like that.

Sean

I took mine off without any noticable ill effects. I did add a extension to the battery box to keep the heat and the elements out from under the seat and as Sean noted to keep heat off the fuel pump. Unless your looking for it you don't even notice it.
In the following picture you can just see the silver heat tape on a plastic base zip tied to hold in place.
IMG_0867.jpg

I have been thinking about it and almost did remove them when I was doing all that work on my '85 My concern was that it gets so hot here in Texas anyway that it would be a bad idea for me. It gets well over 100 here for weeks to months at a time in the summer, Anyone here in Texas done it? I dont want to sound like a puss but I am not a fan of using my bike as a Guinea pig for experiments.
Not a whole lot of diffrence in the Florida & Texas weather. I had it off mine when I lived in Texas & have it off the one I have now in Florida & never had any problems.

First thing I did to mine years ago, 40,000 miles later and no problems.

Those pieces are uglier than the license plate holder..That's pretty ugly

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would even want to remove them...Sure don't make them look any better....lol....Here in Texas during the summer, it just don't make sense...lol...

You can't use the heat shield with aftermarket headers. Granted, I would leave them on a stock setup as the stock rear headers and joints are ugly.

You can't use the heat shield with aftermarket headers. Granted, I would leave them on a stock setup as the stock rear headers and joints are ugly.

I think you guys switched over to the metal heat shield for the rear exhaust pipes......we started out discussing the plastic shield on top of the rear cylinders.........

Latest posts

Back