hehe...too cool!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, those kits have been around awhile, and on here before. That's a real 'Tweetie-Pie' color. It looks like someone took their time to make that one.

Over here in the UK we have a reasonably active kit car scene, a lot are AC Cobra replicas and lotus 7. The latter is a space frame chassis and in recent years it has become quite popular to fit motorcycle engines, namely fireblade.

These require a fair bit of fabrication as are in line 4s and chain driven.

I've often wondered why shaft drive bike engines are not more popular, large kawasakis, BMW k series gold wing and of course vmax.

The vmax throws out the most power/torque from those, gold Wing is ok but I believe has reverse gear.

Lotus 7 is the Caterham, now, yes? I had a friend in Lansing MI who owned a true Colin Chapman Lotus 7 w/a Kent UK inline-4. You could reach out the cockpit and touch the pavement (macadam) w/a bit of a stretch. He was a car nut, he did builds in MI for whoever could afford his work. His father started a company that made RV parts.

My friend used-to drive to campus in one of his fleet, besides the Lotus 7, he had a Ferrari 250, and a Pantera.

An interesting read, for you Honda 4 cyl automobile fans, there was a lot of development of 4 cyl engines before your 'meatball'/rising-sun products:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/document.asp?DocID=TECH00149

And when you've digested that, we'll tell you about the Offenhauser inline-4's which could make near-3 HP/cu. inch in racing trim.

https://www.onedirt.com/tech/offenhauser-the-greatest-racing-engine-ever-built/

Is the reverse gear in the GW an electric motor?

Last edited:
Yes that's correct. Caterham took over the manufacture of the lotus 7. The lotus 7 was Colin Chapman taking an Austin 7, a British car from the 1950s and removing the body and other parts to lighten it, as he called it "adding lightness". If you Google Austin 7 chassis you will be shocked how flimsy it is, your bed frame is probably more rigid, but that's the 50s for you.

The Caterham has been much developed over time, although it does not have massive v12 engine, it handles superbly so will leave super cars and indeed motorcycles behind on a racetrack with short straights.

To my best knowledge the GL reverse is by means of starter motor.

Back