Helmet Discussion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintard

Reaction score
Hey guys,

mom was hinting around tonight that i should wear a helmet and im pretty sure shell probably buy me one for christmas. Problem is, i have a ginormous head and i have no idea what size to buy etc. Its also gonna be tricky hinting back at her with size without blowing my cover.

So what are the best kind, how do i determine size (if they even make one to fit my head) etc. Thanks
:10_6_8:

Best way is to try it yourself, take the money to buy the best kind $400 then go buy what feels comfortable with DOT and Snell rated.

clintard said:
Hey guys,

mom was hinting around tonight that i should wear a helmet and im pretty sure shell probably buy me one for christmas. Problem is, i have a ginormous head and i have no idea what size to buy etc. Its also gonna be tricky hinting back at her with size without blowing my cover.

So what are the best kind, how do i determine size (if they even make one to fit my head) etc. Thanks

Your hat size is the circumference of your head where the hatband would fall divided by Pi= 3.14 yada,yada,yada

Maybe tell her you've been thinkin' 'bout a cowboy hat in size whatever?? or tell her how hard it is to find a hat in size whatever and maybe she will remember the size??

Look on a MFG's website and maybe they can correlate your hat size with a helmet size????

I agree with Firefly tho' in that the best way is to try it on....

Incidentally I would be dead twice now if it were not for a helmet......one of them was an out of control tank slapper at 140 miles per hour but a ten mile an hour fall can kill you just as dead...
I highly recommend a full face, you will be amazed at how much more comfortable a ride can be with a full face helmet and earplugs....

Just my .02 tho'

Clint, go to the bike shop and try several brands on. Each brand fits differently. I wear a XL Shoei but need an XXL Icon Mainframe helmet. I recommend Icon, much less wind noise and no wind buffeting. As for Snell versus DOT, take your pick. Every helmet out there is good....it just depends on what bells and whistles you want. You're paying for the name and the graphics.

clintard said:
Hey guys,

Go find a helmet that you like and fits you and then "conveniently" work those details into your next conversation with your mom.

Lew L said:
You haven't been wearing a helmet all these years?????????
Please say it isn't so:confused2:

To be honest with you, im 21 years old. I bought the vmax back in june, and before that i had an 83 cb900 i rode for a while before i crashed it on a gravel road. So take all my combined riding experience and you may get a year total..... no helmet....im a dumbass i know

WEAR a FUCKING HELMET AND MAKE IT A GOIOD ONE!!!!

Just had three mates of mine die this weekend while out riding. I wont tell you to wear full gear cause sometimes that's not possible or nescesarry but ALWAYS wear a helmet.

I still own my first scoot--a 650 V-Star (to be sold next spring to finance some improvements to my new Max). I found a really good forum for that bike too, and it seemed the members over there were much more resistant to helmets than you guys. I always thought it was sort of a macho thing with them, even though they're only riding 40hp.

For me, I always wear a full-face--visor up unless it's too cold or rainy. I figure at my age I'm scatter-brained enough without any assistance from the pavement.

Chris.

I don't know if I am bragging or if I should appologize to humanity, but I began riding on the dirt at 12, the street at 14 and up until I moved to Missouri at age 37 I seldom, if ever, wore a helmet. At nearly 50 now, I wouldn't ride with one except that Missouri requires it by law. I've had a couple mishaps with other drivers over the years and lived to tell about it. Heck, with my luck the darn helmet strap would have caught on the handlebars or something and broken my neck.

Helmets have their proper places. On rainy days, cold days, multi-bike rides with communication gear in place etc... But the best place I've found for my helmet is on the shelf at home in the garage. I like the wind in my hair - what's left of it, that is.

and thats your choice, but I think most people understand that its probably not the best choice

When I went down last month,I did not have a helmet on.I have been riding for 32 years.I thought I did not need one for the short trip and I usually only wore one when I knew I was going to haul ass.
I just bought an Icon Mainframe that I have wanted for awhile.Its the flat black one with the skulls all over it.I plan on wearing it all the time.
When I wrecked I did have on my Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket and good gloves.As I was flying into the woods I tried to cover my head with my arms but still ended up with a good bruise on top of my head.I also probably bruised my ribs worse because my arms were over my head.
I got my new mainframe from university motors for $170,retails for $280.Its not worth not getting a good one.

The worst wreck I ever had left thirteen- yes thirteen distinct and separate impacts on a new helmet.

I would most certainly be dead, as it was I spent 2 weeks in the hospital and a total of 5 weeks off work...

I won't leave the driveway without a helmet-EVER.

Same goes for seat belts; I would have a Father today if he had been wearing his.

I also have a cousin that I watched endo an Elsinore 250 over 30 years ago and he still is left with the permanent mental capacity of a 10 year old.....What a wasted life for a poor decision. The anguish I saw our extended family go through left me with the firm believe I would never do that to the ones I love.

I saw him at a Family reunion this summer and it left me in tears.

I believe in living life to the fullest but not being dumb when I do it....I know this is going to piss someone off but a brain that choose to not wear a helmet is probably not worth protecting anyway.

I do realize it is a personal choice and strictly up to the person making the decision tho' I just hope they are thinking about thier families when they make the decision not to wear one.

Sorry if I'm a little too passionate about this but it hits kind of close to home.

This past June, I was involved in a three bike pile up while riding my flattracker on the Sturgis, SD Shorttrack. I was wearing a brand new (first time) KBC full face and landed head first then slid up the track. The helmet split on the right side and the interior forehead foam collapsed from the impact. To say the very least, the helmet more than did the job it was designed to do being it absorbed the impact and I suffered a mild concussion that did not require medical aid. I sent pics of the helmet to KBC and they replaced it free of charge including shipping. I am sold on their product and service. I recommend your wife buys you a gift certificate in order that you can purchase a helmet that properly fits you being most helmets fit different from others. I have attached a pic of the helmet. Imagine your head if the helmet wasn't being worn or if the helmet was a cheapo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/slide/DSC00446.jpg

DSC00446.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the input guys. Ive been running shop to shop trying on helmets but havnt found any that i think really fit right. Most are too tight on my head, and ive even had one that was too big. Hell i even got a medium stuck on my head and was the laughingstock of the store. Ill admit i overexagerated it a bit but all in good fun.

Ill let you guys know what i decide on. Looking for something between 100-150$ silver/black full face that i can get to fit my gigantic head

Clintard, when getting a new helmet it should feel tight with your cheeks feeling compressed. As well, the helmet should not rock forward or laterally. After a few outings the interior will compress slightly and feel really good. It's hard to tell yourself that it will be good when your cheeks are pinched but that is the way good helmets feel when new. Don't try to save a buck buying a middle of the road helmet.

DSC00445.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back