Helmet Painting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I want to have my helmet painted and it seems there is no one locally to do it that I can locate. I have a few ideas in mind but need to discuss it with someone that has some artistic abilities to see what base color(s) to use, sizes of the design elements and cost options.
I have a gloss black Vemar VTXE helmet which has some areodynamic parts to work around. I have cut some graph paper into the basic design elements and taped them into place but it's not giving me a feel for how it would look finished. I basically want this:
1. Tunning fork on the very top of helmet.
2. US flag on both sides just above and behind the shield pivot.
3. Outline of the U.P. of Michigan with the US flag design inside it and the letters U.P.R. spaced below on the back middle of the helmet.
4. Clan Cameron tartan(or thistle design?) that runs on the bottom part of the helmet (bottom ~ 1.5") that starts as a "V" around the front air vent.
I will get some pictures of the helmet and of the design examples i have collected later.

Is there anyone here that can paint/ airbrush or knows a reliable painter/ airbrusher to do the job or that I at least can consult with? I'm not sure how much this may cost but I only have a couple of hundred dollars to work with. I have looked at some of the sticker/ reflective sticker designs out there that may be a option if the paint work turns out to be too costly.
Thanks for any input.

Dang Redbone you got allot going on for that mellon cover of yours. Ive had Ideas like this before and its hard to find someone who will work with ya to do it. My old roommate who is a tattoo artist said he airbrush stuff for me but he's a flake and hard to work with.
Try an add on Craigslist or going to tattoo shops. Allot of tattoo artist also do differant types of art. Ask around and find one that will do some air brushiing. Print the designs you want and take em with you to talk to the artist. It will be cheaper if you give them the design and tell them where to put it.
Then clear coat the shit out of it.

That is some fantastic paint you are having done Sean!:worthy: I can't imagine how much that's going to run!
Hmm, it has me thinking that maybe I just better wait on the helmet painting for now. When I paint Redbone I'll get the helmet painted to match, probably would turn out better that way too. I thought I might have too much on the helmet and it might look crappy/ pieced together.
So, I think I'll look into some minimal reflective stickers just for the safety aspect.
Thanks for the input.

Luckily when I bought mine it came painted...

I buy my running shoes at a local running place (running wild) and they had the hi-vis yellow/green stickers there. I bought a sheet of them and did all three helmets. My two and my wifes.

I was riding with another couple behind is and they said they light up bright as can be!

Chris

ya man thats gonna be expensive if you want it done right. you could honestly find stickers of that stuff and spend under 30 bucks me thinkin

I think I'm just going to go with the reflective tape that's black during the day and when lights shine on it it lights up white. I think I'll just run it around the bottom no more than a inch wide. I also may add a US flag to the back of the helmet to cover up the crooked Vemar sticker that's on there now. I going to call the local graphic's shop to see what they might be able to do.:confused2:

Make DAMN sure that whatever you do to your helmet is done with compatible materials.......

The last thing you need to have is a really cool looking lid that has been softened and won't protect you when you need it.......

If your painter doesn't at least ask you what it is made of.......RUN....

$0.02 deposited

Back