Helmets: normal lifespan

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank5079

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how long do you guys keep your helmets? I had an Arai Quantum which I bought brand new back in 1995 and I think I paid $375 for it. After about 6 years, I had worn it down to the point where it was it didn't feel as snug as it did when it was brand new.

My best friend used to say, "If you have a $2.00 head then buy a $2.00 helmet." He is a big Shoei fan. Now I've owned Bieffe, Shoei, and Arai helmets and I love the fit and finish of Arai helmets, but the thought of plunking down 600 to 800 dollars for a lid is just a little off putting...what do you guys think??

Ive replaced mine every 5 years.......unless I had a spill, then I replaced it right after.

What would it cost to repair a brain? That said, I think a helmet ought to go more than 5 years, if it didn't suffer an impact.

From what I've read, the EPS liner (Styrofoam -looking stuff) deteriorates over time, and at 5-6 years has reached the point where it might not do it's job of absorbing damaging forces. When I was young and poor, I'd buy the cheapest helmet that looked cool, until one day after a nice tax refund I decided to buy a Shoei RF200 (1990's equivalent of the RF1200). I quickly found that a 'good' helmet was quieter, the fit was better, the faceshield less distorted.

Until recently I used a $200 Bell helmet and last year I bought a $600 Shoei GT-AIR helmet. The Shoei is cooler, quieter and lighter by at least a pound. That feels like a lot of weight on the head. Now I have less fatigue, can hear traffic better, and my head stays cool. The drop-down visor works much better than the Bell's (better ratcheting, better lever, easier to use), and the liner is easily removable so I can wash it. It is by far the best helmet I have ever owned. This is no slight to Bell, the Bell Star is a upper priced helmet and appears to be similar in quality to my Shoei.

Any helmet that meets DOT requirements will protect your helmet. SNELL standards are higher, but only for certain types of incidents. The more money you spend doesn't necessarily mean better protection, but usually better quality - comfort, fit, finish etc... $200 more MIGHT be the difference between riding for 5 hours in comfort or ending the ride early due to fatigue.

I'm at a point in my life where the small stuff like that matters.

P.S. But no matter what helmet you get, it will not prevent your head from whipping back when you twist the Vmax throttle!

Many of the cheaper helmets are made from polycarbonate (plastic), which over time can be damaged by the suns UV rays, causing the polycarbonate to become brittle and the helmet useless in the event of an accident. Other things like chemicals and paints can also damage the polycarbonate shell. I would say a helmet of this type is good for a maximum of five years. A more expensive helmet is probably made from fibreglass or a mix of fibreglass and carbon fibre. These have a much longer lifespan and as long as it is not dropped or involved in an accident can last indefinately, as long as it still fits snuggly.
If a helmet has been dropped, very often the damage is not visible. Unlike a polycarbonate helmet which is cast in a mold, a fibreglass helmet is made up of several layers. The impact from dropping it can cause a crack in the underlying layers of fibreglass, whilst the outerlayer can appear OK. That is why you should never buy a 2nd hand or used helmet.
I use an open face 'Caberg' Fibre/carbon helmet.

Ten years is too-long, put it on a shelf. Don't use it. It would probably work but not as-good as a new one.

Ten years is too-long, put it on a shelf. Don't use it. It would probably work but not as-good as a new one.

Fiberglass doesn't deteriorate over time. If you had a fiberglass bodied car, would you park it in the garage and not drive it if it was 10 years old?

I might agree if the helmet has been worn everyday for 10 years, as the padding and lining would be worn out.

I'm going on 8 years with my current helmet but there was a couple years I was physically unable to ride, at all. It got to rest a spell, but the fit isnt what it used to be and just today I was talking about replacing it for spring. I also feel that 8-10 years is a real push regardless of use, it's job is too important. It seems that I reach a point where I can feel the fit "changing" and decide it's time to replace it. It could be the helmet getting old, or my head getting old. Either way I go 5-7 years with normal use, with heavy use 3-4 before comfort declines and it gets replaced. Even a tired helmet with less than perfect fit is far better than tamping down the asphalt with your melon so if its all you have, please continue to wear it.

The outside shells generally are not the issue as the helmet ages, as Borg detailed, it is the liner that loses its ability to absorb impacts.
I wear a Shoei Qwest and it is a great helmet, pretty quiet and fits great!

The Medical Examiner at Miami-Dade County, FL had a collection of dozens of motorcycle helmets that were on victims of crashes, still bearing all the damage and sometimes the blood of their use. It was an entire wall in the M.E.'s office building, quite a sober display.

Latest posts

Back