Helmets..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see alot of black helmets. I know they look stealthy and cool, but don't you worry about visibility? I choose loud and obnoxious helmets because I figure people will see me better.

Mike

I see alot of black helmets. I know they look stealthy and cool, but don't you worry about visibility? I choose loud and obnoxious helmets because I figure people will see me better.

Mike

My helmet only came in two colors.. Black or White.

I've been thinking about patching up the chips and giving it a new paint job next winter.

Have a bunch of helmets. Silver HJC Sy-Max for a flip up model. Titanium Bell Mag 8 for the 3/4 helmet. Four Nolan X-Lite 901's in various colors/designs, Shoei X-9 in white and a HJC CL-SP Phoenix. Also have a couple old 3/4 Bell Sprints with multiple size interiors pieces for custom fit. Not made in years but a great idea. Try to avoid black helmets here as it gets hot enough to cook your brain!! Had a few others purchased to match bikes but sold them when sold the bikes.

Big issue is Dot or Snell. Snell helmets are actually too hard. They are made to withstand two direct hits in the same spot. This increased rigidness allows far too much shock to get to your head. Dot on the other hand, allows far less shock. Snell are almost always rated 300 (I forget the terminology here but it stands for how much g's and for how long a period in milliseconds) which is too high. You can find some Dots with 200 or less. So don't pay those crazy prices and increase your risks of being a vegetable just to get the fancy Snell helmet, it really isn't made to save your brain.

I picked up a Dot helmet that has nice graphics, is lighter and far cheaper ($95) and I know it will give me lower actual impact pressure which is very important as you age (riders 20 years old can handle much higher pressures than a 40 year old). If you've ever crashed you know what the styrofoam shell feels like, not good. The softer the better there, that's for sure.

The best article on this is Motorcyclist's "Blowing the lid off". It describes the problem with the wayward Snell organization and why Dot is actually better. It is found here: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Big issue is Dot or Snell. Snell helmets are actually too hard. They are made to withstand two direct hits in the same spot. This increased rigidness allows far too much shock to get to your head. Dot on the other hand, allows far less shock. Snell are almost always rated 300 (I forget the terminology here but it stands for how much g's and for how long a period in milliseconds) which is too high. You can find some Dots with 200 or less. So don't pay those crazy prices and increase your risks of being a vegetable just to get the fancy Snell helmet, it really isn't made to save your brain.

I picked up a Dot helmet that has nice graphics, is lighter and far cheaper ($95) and I know it will give me lower actual impact pressure which is very important as you age (riders 20 years old can handle much higher pressures than a 40 year old). If you've ever crashed you know what the styrofoam shell feels like, not good. The softer the better there, that's for sure.

The best article on this is Motorcyclist's "Blowing the lid off". It describes the problem with the wayward Snell organization and why Dot is actually better. It is found here: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Controversial subject for sure. I actually buy helmets with the European standard...like my Suomy and my Vemar. I don't know if I can trust an inexpensive helmet. Alot of these helmets are made in China, and THAT certainly makes me nervous. My head is too important to me.

In the end though I think even an inexpensive full face helmet is superior to any kind of open face or skid lid type. I really feel unprotected with the skid lid type and would never wear one.

Mike

I originally did want to try something using the euro standards but they are hard to find in this area. I could only find one size which didn't fit. Ordering by mail would work if I knew which size to get but I didn't. But I feel pretty comfortable knowing I have a good quality full-face helmet (HJC) with a g-rating of around 180. Much softer than the Bell that really did ring my bell twenty years ago when I needed it (mild concussion).

I just got a new helmet in today. No DOT or SNELL approval on this one but it is ECE 2205 approved. Caberg Downtown S Reverso. It is a 3/5 full face sheild helmet with a moveable chin piece for bad weather or higher speeds when you want to keep more wind out. And it only weighs about 1400 grams. Will post some pics tonight.

I just got a new helmet in today. No DOT or SNELL approval on this one but it is ECE 2205 approved. Caberg Downtown S Reverso. It is a 3/5 full face sheild helmet with a moveable chin piece for bad weather or higher speeds when you want to keep more wind out. And it only weighs about 1400 grams. Will post some pics tonight.

I bought a Caberg Solo. I broke my rules and bought it in flat black. Very cool lid, especially with the flip down sunglasses. It goes well with my SUMO stormtrooper outfit. :biglaugh: Light weight, comfy and fits well. Good helmets.

Mike

Just bought an HJC Cyclone XXL - never had a helmet in my life that fit so well - it's hard having a big head. :biglaugh: I don't know that HJC is the absolute best, but I figure it's better than my last bucket ( JC Whitney no-name ) and certainly better than no helmet at all. The vast majority of riders I see here in West FL ride with no helmet or jacket - ouch

Just bought an HJC Cyclone XXL - never had a helmet in my life that fit so well - it's hard having a big head. :biglaugh: I don't know that HJC is the absolute best, but I figure it's better than my last bucket ( JC Whitney no-name ) and certainly better than no helmet at all. The vast majority of riders I see here in West FL ride with no helmet or jacket - ouch

I just bought my girlfriend an HJC and for the money it's pretty damn nice.

She's never worn one really so she doesn't know the diff between Arai and HJC so it's all good! :biglaugh:

It's pink and pretty just like she wanted...:eusa_dance:

Hope that it is not a plastic one. They tend to split in half on impact,leave you with just a styrofoam egg carton for protection.

My wife and I both have HJC's and I hate it when we both have them on. If her head is anywhere close to mine, my head will get tossed around in the wind like I'm being suckerpunched from side to side. If I move forward to get away from her, then her head gets the dirty air from me and she gets knocked around. If it is just me I am fine.

Anyone else have this problem?

Jeff

Hope that it is not a plastic one. They tend to split in half on impact,leave you with just a styrofoam egg carton for protection.

Nope! It's Snell and DOT approved. It's some sort of glass...:biglaugh:

Pretty nice actually and I am an Arai guy.

We'll see tonight or tomorrow Jeff! Ugh...

My wife and I both have HJC's and I hate it when we both have them on. If her head is anywhere close to mine, my head will get tossed around in the wind like I'm being suckerpunched from side to side. If I move forward to get away from her, then her head gets the dirty air from me and she gets knocked around. If it is just me I am fine.

Anyone else have this problem?

Jeff

Only when following big rigs on the highway.

Nope! It's Snell and DOT approved. It's some sort of glass...:biglaugh:

Pretty nice actually and I am an Arai guy.

We'll see tonight or tomorrow Jeff! Ugh...

Plenty of plastic helmets are Dot and Snell approved.You need to check before buying.Fiberglass or any composite makes it ten times better.I have a kevlar comp. Fox mototcross helmet that is nice and light.

Slightly off topic but am I the only one here that never wears a helmet? Maybe this comes from years of riding Harleys. None of the Harley riders here wear helmets and not many of the sport bike riders do. (I'm putting my flame suit on for responses)

Slightly off topic but am I the only one here that never wears a helmet? Maybe this comes from years of riding Harleys. None of the Harley riders here wear helmets and not many of the sport bike riders do. (I'm putting my flame suit on for responses)

No... Many people ride without a helmet...

Have you ever seen the results of riding without gear? I won't do it. Personally I like my skin and head and having the helmet on doesn't bother me one bit. Less wind noise, bugs aren't hitting my face and oh... I'm safer. NQA!

I wear a jacket, pants, boots over my ankles, a helmet and gloves.

I wear my helmet (HJC- SYMAX) most of the time. I like it since it helps cut the wind noise out of the ears! Plus I have cracked one helmet in a bad accident back in 91 (aria) that if it wouldn't have been on I wouldn't have been here.

Sean

I flew 300 feet and landed face first on a sidewalk without a helmet when I was a kid.I would have been dead if I wasn't so drunk.Cops said they estimated 140mph.I still ride sometimes without out one.I Do not drink and drive at all anymore!Like Sean said helmets are quieter,you can see at speed and the bugs and stones do not hurt so much.June bugs are out here bigtime right now.They really suck!

I flew 300 feet and landed face first on a sidewalk without a helmet when I was a kid.I would have been dead if I wasn't so drunk.Cops said they estimated 140mph.I still ride sometimes without out one.I Do not drink and drive at all anymore!Like Sean said helmets are quieter,you can see at speed and the bugs and stones do not hurt so much.June bugs are out here bigtime right now.They really suck!

June bugs still creep me out. Nasty little creatures. I turn my lawn into Love Canal every year so I don't have them (alive, anyway). If one of those went down my shirt while riding, I'd probably seize. :ummm:

Back