Helmets..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just abought the new HJC FS-10 with the built in sun shield (awesome for prescription glass users). I've always found the HJC's fit well to my "egg shaped head"
icon7.gif
. I also have a KBC, the internal padding is really nice and quite but it puts alot of pressure on my forehead after an hour or two (the cons of having a big brain, whether it runs on all cylinders or not is another issue).

I have the Scorpion EXO-400 and bought a photochromatic shield. Plenty of vents, DOT and SNELL, and flat black. I love it. My wife has an HJC (dunno which model) It's pink with black dragony flamey things on it... lol

I wear a garden variety Shoei X11 (silver).

However, I'm getting the urge for one of these babies:

2007_Arai_RX-7_Corsair_Tommy_Gun_Replica_Helmet.jpg

I'm unsure whether my noggin will fit into an Arai yet, we'll see. Might just be my Sunday-go-to-meetin' helmet. :eusa_dance:

Arai has 3 shell shapes (round, oval, long oval), depending on the model. Go to a shop that has Arai and try them on to see which shape fits you.

Wearing an Arai RX7 Corsair. Spendy but super comfy and the ventilation just can't be beat.

I have an AGV that i wear int he car at the drag strip, bu the shield is spent so i searched ebay and foudn a brand new in the box Icon Mainframe Manic for $110, so that will be my new helmet and the wife gets the AGV (along with staying inthe car from drag nights)

icon-maniac.jpg

I really like this one! I'll have to start trying to wear it more often now.

Attachments

• skull fusion.jpg
    skull fusion.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 30
ICON products are junk!!!

Have you ever owned or know anyone who has owned ICON products??

I have purchased the Bombshell-jacket, boots and chaps for my wife. Cheap shit sstarted falling apart after one summer. The stuf litterally was worn 10 times,shit sit shit.

As far as helmets go they are just as cheap.

I read a review about a year ago and that is exactly what they said, ICON helmets seemed cheaply made, even compared to some low budget helmets.

I have a few friends that owned ICON helmets and none of them were satisfied. And they all went back to Arai, shoei and HJC.

They all complained that the helmets were not quiet. One guys strap fell off, another guys shield mechanism went to shit and so on.

They have cool graphics and thats it.

Anyone out there looking for a new helmet, the most important thing is fit. If you can go to a shop and try on all different helmets so you can compare.

Proper way to fit yourself for a helmet is..

Start with a larger helmet and work down in size. If you start small, you may start with a headache.

Also take out the cheek pads when trying on, the most important part of the fit is on your head then put in the cheeks, I know shoei and arai and some others offer different size cheeks.

Just my .02 cents

MN, I have a Mainframe ICON black and it's lasted 3 years so far. Only problems I've had were my own damn fault...I dropped it and broke a visor clip. As far as quietness it's definitely quieter than my older Shoei.

MN, I have a Mainframe ICON black and it's lasted 3 years so far. Only problems I've had were my own damn fault...I dropped it and broke a visor clip. As far as quietness it's definitely quieter than my older Shoei.

Thats funny, everyone I know says completely the opposite. The guys that I was referring to had shoei before the icon and they went back to shoei and other brands, but mainly everyone i know went back to shoei, Wayne pruett being one of the biggest complainers about the ICON, he constantly complained about the ICON and he was one that reverted back to shoei.

I own a shoei x-11 and i think the arai feels cheap to me, doesnt feel as plush, solid and quiet. And I know there are a lot of people that would say the opposite. Just goes to show everyone has there own opinion.

Oh well to each his own.

I used to own a Shoei a while back and it was ok - it lasted pretty well but only felt plush when it was new - in its first year or so. After that it quickly got worn, just as quick as any other brand I'd had before, so I wasn't too happy since I'd paid 3x as much for it!

Now I have a Schuberth C1 which is also a very expensive helmet ($500+) but I got lucky and found one on craigslist that's as good as new as it's hardly been worn but only cost me $100.

Much better quality than any other helmet I've owned, and also way quieter, especially for a flip-up design. This thing is well made and build to last - great German quality product.

I'm happy with that one - I just wish I could find a cheap C2 as I've heard they are even quieter than the C1, or an S1 which has been found by all reviews to be the quietest helmet on the market today.

My wife and I both have Icon Mainframes and we love them.

I have purchased the Bombshell-jacket, boots and chaps for my wife. Cheap shit sstarted falling apart after one summer. The stuf litterally was worn 10 times,shit sit shit.

I read a review about a year ago and that is exactly what they said, ICON helmets seemed cheaply made, even compared to some low budget helmets.

I have a few friends that owned ICON helmets and none of them were satisfied. And they all went back to Arai, shoei and HJC.

They all complained that the helmets were not quiet. One guys strap fell off, another guys shield mechanism went to shit and so on.

Anyone out there looking for a new helmet, the most important thing is fit. If you can go to a shop and try on all different helmets so you can compare.

Start with a larger helmet and work down in size. If you start small, you may start with a headache.

Also take out the cheek pads when trying on, the most important part of the fit is on your head then put in the cheeks, I know shoei and arai and some others offer different size cheeks.

Just my .02 cents

Wayne, I didn't think that you wear helmets!

Just my .02 cents

I thought about taking my trusty ol Simpson super bandit and having it repainted, but then I thought about how many times it was dropped and chipped, etc.

so after almost 20 years of service its now resting comfortably at the landfill.

I replaced it with a KBC FFR modular. its nice 'n roomy and comfortable, but this is not the helmet if you want quiet.

I'm working on a full write-up for V-boost mag. But like the last write up, I'll post a partail here.

here is my old bandit and the new KBC

Attachments

• Helmet Cam.jpg
    Helmet Cam.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Sdc10097.jpg
    Sdc10097.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 32
hjc ac12 carbon fiber, when it's time for a new helmet i'll buy another one, close to $500 but worth every penny. dave

Attachments

• helmet 001.jpg
    helmet 001.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 15
  • helmet 002.jpg
    helmet 002.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back