Help! 1985 VMax Exhaust is too loud!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HookieRider

Reaction score
Hello. I just bought first year VMax (1985) and the exhaust is a four-in-one setup modification of previous owner(s), but too loud for my neighborhood. What can I do without breaking my piggy bank? slipon? where do I find? and what type? Thanks for your help.

Hello. I just bought first year VMax (1985) and the exhaust is a four-in-one setup modification of previous owner(s), but too loud for my neighborhood. What can I do without breaking my piggy bank? slipon? where do I find? and what type? Thanks for your help.

Move ................

Or you could put it up for sale or trade for a ........shudder , stock exhaust system . Then in about 6 weeks , look for one just like the one you traded or sold. LOL :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Sean Morley (one2dmax) can get you a can to quiet it down if it's a Kerker.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

What kind of can? I'll attach a picture, and hopefully that'll identify...It says nothing with exception of muffler clamp identified as a 5-star VMax muffler clamp...

Attachments

• HPIM4363.jpg
    HPIM4363.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 94
  • HPIM4361.jpg
    HPIM4361.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 81
  • HPIM4362.jpg
    HPIM4362.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 82
What kind of can? I'll attach a picture, and hopefully that'll identify...It says nothing with exception of muffler clamp identified as a 5-star VMax muffler clamp...

Looks like a cut down Kerker aluminum can. The kind that comes originally with the 4-2-1 kerker exhaust. Ya I would guess that it is pretty loud with that set up. I would look for a can with a 2.5" inlet.

Try that before getting rid of the kerker exhaust.

Mike

sounds like another can is good solution! I'll start looking for a 2.5" inlet. Nothing wrong with the exhaust (except for the lack of volume control)...Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks! Guys! you all are GRrrreat! First time I've ever posted, and I really appreciate your responses! This VMax has a lot of life in it, and I can't wait till warmer weather to get it out! Trying to maximize these cold days with some readiness :) ThankS!

Get with Sean. His price on Kerker is better than anyone. That can looks like crap! They cut it down several inches.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Yea, email me directly for your options! I have a carbon can, aluminum can, and can get a replacement can. The standard can will be quieter and even the normal length with comp baffle will be quieter but still not anywhere near a stock one.

Sean
[email protected]

The comp baffle is still very loud if you are looking to be reasonably quiet. I do not like really loud exhausts so it is too loud for me. Everyone within a mile or so (including cops) will hear you every time you get on it. I'm not sure how many baffles are available for the Kerker but might try the quietest one first. You can always modify or replace it if it is too quiet for you. I have the Kerker slip-ons and they are a little loud for me and they are nowhere near as loud as the full system.

The larger cans we adapt to them are actually very deep sounding with a nice roar when wide open but not all that loud (in my opinion) when not beating on it. I have one I could send you for testing and we can decide what to do from there (pay for it or send it back with payment for the shipping to you).

Sean

Sean, Thanks for your help with obtaining some parts for my bike. I'll let you know when I receive them :)

Latest posts

Back