Help a brake newbie out...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
I haven't explored the brake options for the Vmax (or any motorcycle for that matter.)

Can someone explain the following :

1.) WHY are Stainless Steel brake lines better? How do they improve my braking performance?

2.) What are the best brand of pads to get for a stock Vmax?

3.) What are the easiest common brake upgrades for the Vmax?

4.) Are the stock VMax brakes really that bad (+1993)?
________
Ford Model U specifications

Last edited:
I answered question #1 on my own with this :

Increasing your braking power and feel is as easy as upgrading to stainless steel brake lines. These lines will greatly improve your braking effectiveness because there is almost no expansion under pressure, requiring less force to operate at their maximum. The brake lever feel stays firm (less squishy than rubber hoses) at all times, allowing the rider to use only 2 fingers at the lever while getting extremely efficient brake power. This advantage reduces braking distances and increases efficiency of the calipers.
________
free magento themes

Last edited:
when i 1st got my max, the front brakes really dissapointed me.
but after a few hundred miles they got better.

compared to other bikes i have owned with dual front disks.....the max front brakes are not that great. it seems when yu really NEED them they let u down.

1. u answered
2. ebc hh
3. common? pads/rotors. then new calipers, master cylinders and lines.
4. mine were good, but better after the ebc hh. i don't see upgrading the fronts anytime soon, as they stop pretty good. i also don't like th estock rear rotor, changed it on both my maxes. the old one had an ebc pro-lite, which matched the fronts nicely.

the new one has galfer wave (non floating)

i could lock both up very easily, and if feels better than stock.

1. u answered
2. ebc hh
3. common? pads/rotors. then new calipers, master cylinders and lines.
4. mine were good, but better after the ebc hh. i don't see upgrading the fronts anytime soon, as they stop pretty good. i also don't like th estock rear rotor, changed it on both my maxes. the old one had an ebc pro-lite, which matched the fronts nicely.

the new one has galfer wave (non floating)

i could lock both up very easily, and if feels better than stock.

is there any vmoa shops/supporters that offer galfer rotors?? just looked quick on ebay and over 500 bucks.

See below.

I haven't explored the brake options for the Vmax (or any motorcycle for that matter.)

Can someone explain the following :

1.) WHY are Stainless Steel brake lines better? How do they improve my braking performance?

2.) What are the best brand of pads to get for a stock Vmax?
Ans: EBC HH
3.) What are the easiest common brake upgrades for the Vmax?
Ans: Brake lines, calipers, then rotors IMO.
4.) Are the stock VMax brakes really that bad (+1993)?
Ans: They are not bad with better pads and SS lines. Pretty good actually for most people.

Ok - what's the difference in a 3 line stainless steel kit vs a 2 wire kit?
Besides the obvious :p

How do they work differently?
________
vaporizer guide

Last edited:
i think the 2 wire kit is easier to install.

2 lines are easier to bleed. I would go two line.

Morley sells them.

Mondak would be another one to try.

I have EBC HH pads, HEL lines, and Galfer wave rotors and the bike is an animal. The suspension is also a HUGE part in the braking IMO. Stiffer springs are necessary.

Chris

I do sell all the above! A different master cylinder can also increase your braking power immensely.

The quantity of lines makes no difference (with steel) once all the air is out. The fluid displaced is still the same. Until you change the quantity pushed (master cylinder) or the amount needed to push (the caliper) the line has no effect on the braking system.

Sean

Back