Help! Fuel pump won't stop priming!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vignamatt

Reaction score
After sitting all winter, my 86 Max when I turn the key on will not stop priming. The fuel pump just keeps on ticking away even despite the fact that fuel is pouring down the side of my bike. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks!

You probably have your floats stuck open on one or more carbs from sitting with no stabilizer in fuel for several months. You can try tapping on them with a large screw driver handle, but you may end up having them cleaned to get the gummed up gas out and the floats loosened up.

+1...... And check for a busted fuel line.....even a large rubber mallet if needed. Can you get bike running?

I can't get the bike running because the fuel won't stop running out of the carb. I will check the floats for starters.

Can you isolate it coming from one carb or all four......easier to check lines before opening them....you will be surprised what using a mallet will solve here. Friend had same issue,I got it running and kept tapping and it dislodged the crud and away you go. Open the drain screw and let it clean some stuff out,catch it in a glass jar and look for black or rust crud.....

tugla, is right, you will have better luck dislodging the floats and needle with engine running and hitting the carbs with a rubber mallet. I would disconnect the fuel pump and start the bike to keep from flooding engine with gas, give the carbs a few bumps and with the engine running plug the fuel pump back in and see if it still floods outs. I would have a garden hose at the bike should a spark ignite the raw fuel.....

Plastic mallet or rawhide mallet works good. Look at the manual to see where the float needle area is. Obviously you don't want to break anything but you can rap these things fairly good to loosen it up. You can even use a blow drier to warm things up a bit but use common sense there. If you are flooding your carbs with some kind of solvent or cleaner, change the oil because you just thinned out the oil and my be washing down your cylinder walls.

Great tips guys, thanks! You've definitely given me some stuff to try before yanking my carbs off. I may just pull them off anyway as last year I did the stage 7 jet kit with individual K&N's and I think I need to go one size smaller on the main jets. Still getting a little lag on top end. Going to try a 120 jet.

Latest posts

Back