Help ID strange Anti Theft Device Please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnblaid

Reaction score
The pictures below show some sort of ANTI-Theft Device that was wired into my electrical system on the right side when I purchased the bike.

I'd like to remove it since the bike cannot be started without the pictured plug and I only have one.

I can't find anything about it on the internet but I suspect the company FCB is out of business. The first thing I would think of to defeat this device is to simply cut the two wires coming out of the back of it and twist them together so I'm sure they have though of that.

You plug the electrical "key" into the front of it to allow the engine to start. In effect you have two keys, one mechanical and one electrical.

any advice would be appreciated. I'd rather not do anything until I know what I'm doing.

If I can't find out how to disconnect it, I guess I could use silicone glue to glue the plug in place...Not a good solution.

Thanks

fbc4.JPG

fbc3.JPG

fbc2.JPG

fbc1.JPG

If there is no black box or other circuitry then it's probably an interruption in the energizing circuit which has to be connected to allow the ignition to work. In other words, another key, just in a different configuration. Looks pretty simple to me, and for the life of me I can't see why anyone would bother. Have you considered it might just be a power tap for a 12 V DC circuit, and the owner just decided that if he wired it into the ignition switch it would provide a measure of protection? If all it is, is a jumper, well, those two contacts are right-there in the open. Try using a piece of wire to jump-across them & see if you can start the bike. If you can, then just cut it out and rewire without it interrupting the circuit.

Also check the color of which two wires actually go into that box. It's possible that they just tapped off the ignition switch wiring or the famous brown wire. Cool idea, though, unless a bad guy shows up with a penny and some duct tape or some wire.

If there is no black box or other circuitry then it's probably an interruption in the energizing circuit which has to be connected to allow the ignition to work. In other words, another key, just in a different configuration. Looks pretty simple to me, and for the life of me I can't see why anyone would bother. Have you considered it might just be a power tap for a 12 V DC circuit, and the owner just decided that if he wired it into the ignition switch it would provide a measure of protection? If all it is, is a jumper, well, those two contacts are right-there in the open. Try using a piece of wire to jump-across them & see if you can start the bike. If you can, then just cut it out and rewire without it interrupting the circuit.

I agree, it looks like a kill switch that you would have on a snowmobile or jetski so the machine stops if you fall off.

The real question is, What activity happens when that plug is removed.
1) Do you still get power to the lights and instrument panel with the plug removed?
2) Does the starter motor crank the engine with the plug removed but no engine start?
3) Or, is everything totally dead without the plug?

Looking at that cord with the key attached, you can plainly see there is a loop of wire gong from one of the male plugs inside the plug housing, going back down to the other side. That is a simple disconnection of a wire. If its result 3), then you simply need to take off that plug housing and join the wires together. If its Result 1 or 2 (which I doubt), it would have to be hooked to an energized relay, which could drain your battery when not in use.

Yes, it's the same configuration we use for our drag bike to tether off to. Just completes a circuit. So, you can connect the wires back together and eliminate the device. Use the wire schematic if you want which we have on our website.

Even better, Email me a reminder and I'll just send you replacement guts for that switch housing and you can swap that all out.

Make sure theres no relay in the end of those wires going to the handlebar plug housing. Inside that plug might have a resistor or similar to close a remote relay that will then close the circuit to the ignition.

Everything is totally dead without the plug. Both wires that go in the back are black. All the connections can be seen in the pictures right there near the switch box. I think Sean is correct.

Thanks to all who contributed

Back