Help needed please. Vmax 1700 generation 2.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax Paul.

Reaction score
Hello all from the UK 👍.

I need some help/advice with my Vmax 1700 Gen 2.

I bought the motorcycle from a dealer in the UK. Do not know personally the owner. It had been really looked after, 2009 model, 2,200 miles, mint condition. It was delivered to me in early December. Being in the UK I have only travelled around 100 miles due to weather conditions. The problem I have is with a very harsh suspension system, hardly any travel in front forks and really harsh rear suspension unit.

When the original owner purchased the motorcycle he had a few modifications done to it by his Yamaha dealer.

Yamaha OEM 240 wide rear wheel. Yamaha OEM lowered seat. Yamaha OEM spring lowering front and rear kit (new springs and mono shock).

It came to me with all the standard parts that had been replaced.

Can anyone help me find out information on the replacement front springs and rear suspension unit? I am thinking of refitting the original front fork springs and original rear suspension unit. The part number for the suspension unit fitted is 907-918Y3-15-00. I cannot find any information on this part as says unavailable.

Because of the harshness of the suspension settings I'm getting the original fork springs and original rear shock unit re fitted.

Why would anyone need to have these parts fitted? Surely an easier way to have the bike lowered without going to all this expense and messing up the suspension!

Your thoughts please and any information on the replacement fork springs and replacement rear shock would be appreciated.

Many thanks Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
My Gen2 bucked like a bronco until I adjusted the various front and rear suspension settings. I'm guessing that the modifications the previous owner had done removed your ability to "dial it in" with the knobs? If you no longer have any way to adjust the settings yourself, I agree with you that having the original front and rear suspension installed is probably the best place to start. Whatever you end up having to do, it will be well worth the effort once the weather breaks and you're able to really start riding your new beast of a motorcycle!

In case you're interested, here is another thread that might be a good reference for the future: Suspension Adjustment

Also, please keep us posted on what happens next!

Cheers,

-Chris

Don’t know if this helps you at all but I run a stock 2014 with everything set mid way I’m 6 foot 220 and it works really well for me had thought a few times about tweaking it. But only turn the adjusters to exercise them to keep them freed up

Cheers
Peter
Make sure the oil pump was done!

Hi Chris and Peter.
Thank you for your replies. I will keep everyone updated on the outcome.
Peter, yes I contacted Yamaha with vin number etc and they gave me the date it was done, so yes it has been done thank you. I found out about this recall and modification through this site.
Cheers Paul 🍻

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated. I certainly will let everyone know the outcome when I get things altered.

Hello all from the UK 👍.

I need some help/advice with my Vmax 1700 Gen 2.

I bought the motorcycle from a dealer in the UK. Do not know personally the owner. It had been really looked after, 2009 model, 2,200 miles, mint condition. It was delivered to me in early December. Being in the UK I have only travelled around 100 miles due to weather conditions. The problem I have is with a very harsh suspension system, hardly any travel in front forks and really harsh rear suspension unit.

When the original owner purchased the motorcycle he had a few modifications done to it by his Yamaha dealer.

Yamaha OEM 240 wide rear wheel. Yamaha OEM lowered seat. Yamaha OEM spring lowering front and rear kit (new springs and mono shock).

It came to me with all the standard parts that had been replaced.

Can anyone help me find out information on the replacement front springs and rear suspension unit? I am thinking of refitting the original front fork springs and original rear suspension unit. The part number for the suspension unit fitted is 907-918Y3-15-00. I cannot find any information on this part as says unavailable.

Because of the harshness of the suspension settings I'm getting the original fork springs and original rear shock unit re fitted.

Why would anyone need to have these parts fitted? Surely an easier way to have the bike lowered without going to all this expense and messing up the suspension!

Your thoughts please and any information on the replacement fork springs and replacement rear shock would be appreciated.

Many thanks Paul
Hi Paul
First do you know the make of the suspension units that have been fitted to your gen 2 then check there website for any information for setting Don't know what part of the UK your in but there's a guy in Garstang Preston who is very good at setting up suspension units he will take your weight and ridding style if solo or two up luggage etc so maybe have a professional look at it first
Regards Ash

Don’t know if this helps you at all but I run a stock 2014 with everything set mid way I’m 6 foot 220 and it works really well for me had thought a few times about tweaking it. But only turn the adjusters to exercise them to keep them freed up

Cheers
Peter
Make sure the oil pump was done!

These were fitted to my Vmax in 2009 by previous owner! Going back to standard fork springs and standard rear shock as they were supplied with the bike.
Did not know these items were available from Yamaha at the time!

And this 240 wide wheel was fitted to. Another Yamaha part that was available.

Sorry about quality of pictures!

It looks like the rear suspension does have the preload and rebound adjustment knobs, so I'd be surprised if the front shocks didn't have the adjusters, as well. Unless you need the bike to be taller you might just be able to have the existing suspension system dialed-in to your metrics and preferences...which would be much easier than having the original parts put back on!

Have you seen this thread? Locate and adjust all six suspension components on a Yamaha VMAX 1700

I weigh about 196lbs in my riding gear. Any advice on all 6 suspension settings on my Gen 2 please.
Still trying to get any information on settings please.
HELP!
Many thanks Paul

l

If you aren't comfortable adjusting the settings yourself, which is effectively an ongoing process until everything feels "right" for your particular riding style, I'm sure they could assist with adjusting the settings at the dealership. If you're OK with the ride height it would still be far less expensive to have one of the dealership people assist with the adjustments rather than swapping-out the aftermarket components; they might even do it for free if you're a valued customer!

Any recommendations please for my weight. I know where all the settings are.

I weigh about 196lbs in my riding gear. Any advice on all 6 suspension settings on my Gen 2 please.

Still trying to get any information on settings please.

HELP!

Many thanks Paul

l

Just looking for recommended settings for my weight please. Must be someone who is around the similar weight 196lbs?

Thanks Paul

6' tall, 210lbs. I have 7 clicks on the front forks. 9 on the rear and I cannot recall the small one at the bottom. My roads are garbage out here so being any stiffer, for me.....starts to beat up my back and kidneys. I do launch hard and maintain higher than normal speeds. The bike holds well for me in my state with these settings.

Hi Paul
First do you know the make of the suspension units that have been fitted to your gen 2 then check there website for any information for setting Don't know what part of the UK your in but there's a guy in Garstang Preston who is very good at setting up suspension units he will take your weight and ridding style if solo or two up luggage etc so maybe have a professional look at it first
Regards Ash
the only aftermarket springs I have found are Wilbers. They only come in 2 version. Stock length, 1kg spring or a lowering spring, which I believe is a stiffer spring. I've only read one review of these springs where the article mentions the 1kg springs were a bit too stiff for their liking. The OP stated the bike had lowered suspension on both ends. That's got to be a miserable experience.

Back