HELP..No fuel getting to 1 carb..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Four

Reaction score
INTRO: (skip intro if you want)
I'll try to keep this brief, and I've been reading carb threads for days now, yet I'm not sure how far into the carbs I wanna go (without supervision of somebody who's done this before)
So, perhaps you've read my thread of "moisture noticed in 1 pipe".. that's where our story begins...and how I discovered suttin was up.

SYMPTOMS:
  • Pipe from #1 cyl running MUCH cooler than the rest
  • skipping/popping at idle (and at least up to 3K+)
  • moisture in 1 pipe
:ummm:

WHAT I'VE DONE..SO FAR, (and what it's yielded)

• Confirmed I'm getting spark -(#1 cyl running cold)
  • Switched coils with a good cyl..just to make sure.-(#1 cyl running cold)
  • switched plugs with a "good" cyl. -(#1 cyl running cold)
  • switched wires with a "good" cyl. -(#1 cyl running cold)
  • Had a drink and a smoke-(#1 cyl running cold)
While running, I sprayed starting fluid into carb, and she revs up, that tells me that shes gettin spark and wants to run..but gettin NO FUEL in that cyl.

SO NEXT:
  • Performed a version of shotgun/peashooter.-(#1 cyl running cold)
  • I had a few drinks and cried myself to sleep-(#1 cyl still running cold)
  • Drained fuel bowls- *NOT MUCH FUEL came out of bad carb...compared to others. *fuel "Looked" clean
  • Turned A/F screw all way in -(No change in idle at all)
  • Turned A/F screw all way out-(No change in idle at all)
  • again Performed a version of shotgun/peashooter.-(#1 cyl running cold)
  • Put it all back together- No change.-(#1 cyl running cold)
  • Removed A/F screw again, only this time I lost the spring AND washer.
  • Ordered new one from Sean.
  • Found Spring and washer on garage floor..-(#1 cyl running cold)
  • Sprayed starting fluid around potential leaky rubbers/clamps /connections (No change in idle) #1 cyl still cold
  • Drank , alot. ..-(#1 cyl still running cold) :bang head:

WHAT I HAVE NOT DONE:
  • Compression test
  • NEW plugs (though, if you read, I switched some around, and #1 cyl always cold
  • pulled carbs off bike
I do not think its bad gas/fuel pump/ spark related, as no matter what configuration of switchin stuff around, its ALWAYS #1 thats bad/Cold whatev.

In closing, I'm pretty sure its inevitable that these carbs are gonna have to come off. I just hate to have the Max in peices in the garage, as theres sposda be a closing on my house this month.
I was just hopin someone sees something that I may have missed.

:ummm:

Thanks For any help guys..

Change the pilot jet in atleast that one carb... Or try running the proper amount of Start Your Engine Additive and run the bike hard after warm. run it up and let the engine decelerate too. this can move the cleaner better against the pilot jet. It's worked for me several times. My 94 just got over a case of the same thing.

Could be stuck float, plugged float bowl vent line, plugged fuel inlet screen for that carb, stuck float needle valve. But, you are right....carbs need to come off and that one opened up.

well actually its really not a bad job to pull the carbs..

you can just split them into pairs and get done what needs to be.

there is a great how to in the carb section with pics .

did you check the vent tube to that carb to seee if it is kinked of maybe plugged. ??

Could be stuck float, plugged float bowl vent line, plugged fuel inlet screen for that carb, stuck float needle valve. But, you are right....carbs need to come off and that one opened up.

Yep, yep, and yep.
Be sure to check pilot jets while carbs are off.

If it's running good above 3,000 RPM, you're getting fuel.....

True... well it "seems" to run "better" above 3k & the pipe gets hotter...yet when I drained the carbs..3 let out fuel.. the one in question was just a trickle.

+1....float/needle related most likely......I can help you if need be.

I've had my carbs on/off now.......let's see.......me & you don't have enough fingers & toes combined to count that high...........<disclaimer> I'm not a mechanic by any means...............:biglaugh:

True... well it "seems" to run "better" above 3k & the pipe gets hotter...yet when I drained the carbs..3 let out fuel.. the one in question was just a trickle.

Your pretty much doing the same thing already but you could put a hose on the end of the drain hose and see where your float levels are on the good cyl vs #1....then if "we" go in we could reset those too if they are out of spec.....just a thought.......fuel starvation in #1 seems pretty obvious at this point..................

.......fuel starvation in #1 seems pretty obvious at this point..................

+1

fuel starvation at its finest.

With much help from this man quoted above..we (he) got my problem solved.
yesterday we ripped the carbs off (after some diagnostics) to find that 1 of the needles was stuck.I mean friggin stuck to the point of needing to pull it out with pliers!!
The thing was all "choppy" almost seraded, and was hangin up in the seat.
after scavanging a few parts from his extra carbs from the attic...(I owe ya..big time)
a quick cleaning, float adjust and re assembly was all it took to get this thing runnin on 4 cyl .
she still needs a sync.. but let me tell ya..THIS is the vmax ive heard tell of. I cant believe I been runnin on 3 for the last 2 months.

Thanks much man. I Owe you big time..
awesome guy..awesome forum.

thanks again..
this bike is sick..i cant even imagine after a sync.

Attachments

• 2012-10-07 14.21.45.jpg
    2012-10-07 14.21.45.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 2012-10-07 14.21.01.jpg
    2012-10-07 14.21.01.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 2012-10-07 14.21.31.jpg
    2012-10-07 14.21.31.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 30
Glad to hear it's running better. I wish we had time to do a thorough cleaning and finish them up properly but I just ran out of time Sunday. Next time we can schedule some time together we'll check your spark plugs to see what they have to say, wet check your float heights again and sync them up...............

Dude, I just noticed this thread. Once you get the bike back together, stop by and we'll sync it up. I have the weber tool for stage 7 or the vacuum guages for the stock setup.

Latest posts

Back