Help, No Start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5844

Reaction score
No Start

Greetings fella's (and the one or two ladies)!

Finally got around to moving Maxine from storage (1985). Started fine in the fall now nada.

Turn the ignition on - lights up as normal, fuel pump pressurizes
Neutal, clutch engaged, side stand up, on center stand
Hit the Starter button - Headlight goes out (normal), Oil light (normal), Nothing

Here's where i'm at:

Main fuse ok
Fuses in Faux area ok
Battery ok
Will crank with jumping the starter solenoid but no spark (methinks)

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks.

Make sure the starter wire is plugged in. Its right by the back ignition coils under the seat , a single wire.

Make sure the starter wire is plugged in. Its right by the back ignition coils under the seat , a single wire.

By plugged in, do you mean connected to the solenoid? If this is the question then yes it is.

As per the testing thread ...

"To test, hook volt meter to black and black/white pins of relay. Do not disconnect anything. Turn on key, put bike in gear, and put sidestand down. Reading should be 12 volts. Put sidestand up and reading should go down to 0 or a really low voltage reading."

All i get is 0. I do though get a click when in gear and raising and lowering the side stand.

Perhaps i'll pull the wire and see. There was a wooohooo on the other post when one of the wires was clipped. I'm just not as confident that cutting a wire is a good thing.

Thanks so far, giving me at least things to look for - there's alot of wiring on this bike ....

New info.

Hooked up a longer spark plug cable and grounded to the battery (can't get much better than that), definitely no spark.

Also, insulated the black/white cable coming off the side-stand relay, no effect.

Still DOA, in need of more assistance, thanks.

Also, there appears to be a blue/white lead coming off the starter solenoid - going nowhere but insulated. Methinks a testing lead of sorts?

That blue and white wire with the insulated bullet connector is your problem, if it's not connected. It's short and easy to disconnect while working in that area. Sure sounds like it from the info so far.
Steve-o

Well pulled the battery and behold, i give you the male end ... wedged between the battery & the casing. Guess it must've got caught when putting back in this spring - doh !!

I'll post in the morning once i get 'er back together.

Well seems the Blue/White wire is a rather necessary connection to have if you want your bike to run. Connected & fired up right away.

Many thanks !!!

Happy to see you got it going Big.B and thanks sdt354 for getting him on the right page, we were headed for deep water.

Steve O (sdt354) to the rescue again. I'm glad you only live 30 min from me. Can't wait to mod our bikes over the winter. Also all the powder coating we can do this winter. Your gonna make alot of guys on here happy when you start taking powder coating orders. I see extended vmax's in our future lol. Nice job helping him out!!

For once an easy fix that didn't cost $$$. Good going for getting the troubleshooting done.

If that wasnt the problem the next thing would have been the pickup coil I had the same symptoms and that's what mine was after pulling half the hair outta my head. Ed

Here I sit on the sidelines and hear of another success story. What was the Blue and white wire? Or what is it's function? Glad to hear it was a simple fix. Mine should be so simple.

Back