HELP! non vmax related

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamster66

Reaction score
I have a 98 mercury mountaineer and just the other day the tranny wouldn't shift over more than 1 time. (automatic AWD)
It shifts fine and strong the 1st time and then wont shift anymore.
Is it a solenoid issue or what?
The tranny reacts strong otherwise.
I'd hate to run it 5,000 RPM to work

That should be an all electronic trans, it's computer uses info from various sensors to determine shift points, if your fluid is full and clean and the filter isn't partially plugged I would suggest having a reputable trans shop throw a scanner at it to see what's up, sounds like the governor is forcing an up shift at 5000 rpm....................Tom.

If it's at all like my Cadillac, which refused to shift into overdrive, they had to drop the engine from the cradle to replace the shift solenoid. #@*@!chaching!

If its all all like my wife's caddy, an SRX, sell it as soon as possible. The thing is over computerized and has been in the shop about 20 times in the last 6 months continually updating software to fix one problem and create another.

What a POS, she should have kept the infinity.

I jest somewhat tho'

Sounds like a shift solenoid to me as well, or wiring.

Shouldn't be too bad of a job, just need to determine which one it is. I usually go to my local library and get on their computer which has the ALLDATA program. This is a subscription program that has everything including diagnostics, diagrams, and detailed repair procedures for any car made! A quick phone call to your local library to ask if they have it will save you some running around. Then it SHOULD be just a matter of dropping the transmission pan and removing/replacing the solenoid.....but every car can be different and it might require serious surgery like Jfeagins'. Good luck, let us know how you make out!

I doubt it would be this simple, but i had a 93 Lightning that wouldn't shift for shit when the battery was weak. But checking the battery is easy. Got to love electronic transmissions.

Do you have a 4.0L with the 5R55E or the 5.0L with the 4R70W? If it's the 4R70W I can give you a contact number and he will be able to explain what usually happens inside the transmission. I have a friend who just went through this.

Latest posts

Back