Help on rear 17 sport bike/vmax hub combo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrizog60

Reaction score
Hello
I am in the midle of doing this conversion but the friend that is doing this as some doubts...
Do i use only the diff side of the hub and remove the rest(brake side) or spilt the hub in 2 and weld each side on the donor wheel?

Attachments

• IMG-20181212-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20181212-WA0001.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-20190115-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20190115-WA0000.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 28
You can hybrid it if you wish to have the sportbikes brake rotor. It may require a custom mount (either way). If you use the entire Vmax hub you're more likely to fit the swingarm with fewer changes needed.

Mine is done with the drive side only.
Brake side was left alone. Had to install a different bearing to mate with the yamaha axle.
A rotor adapter was installed to utilize a vmax rotor.
I'm using an underslung R1 caliper with bracket from Vmaxbitz.

Hello
I am in the midle of doing this conversion but the friend that is doing this as some doubts...
Do i use only the diff side of the hub and remove the rest(brake side) or spilt the hub in 2 and weld each side on the donor wheel?

My rim is a hybrid so to speak. I just painted them, and snapped pics quick. Not sure if it will give you what you’re looking for. I have the vmax hub on with the other side mostly hayabusa stock.

Attachments

• CB254646-2CF5-4AFE-92EE-45C9E809DD05.png
    CB254646-2CF5-4AFE-92EE-45C9E809DD05.png
    536.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 2A6C256A-2F7A-4AC4-8901-7DFC8D89FCC8.png
    2A6C256A-2F7A-4AC4-8901-7DFC8D89FCC8.png
    601.8 KB · Views: 39
My rim is a hybrid so to speak. I just painted them, and snapped pics quick. Not sure if it will give you what you’re looking for. I have the vmax hub on with the other side mostly hayabusa stock.
Where you got it done?

I believe it will if you use the Yamaha sport bike wheel. If nobody verifies it here I can ask the guy that did my wheel and let you know

A weld-up of a VMax hub complete to a donor 17" X 5-1/2" wheel.

I can get these made in either a 17" weld-up or an 18" bolt-up. The 17" is cheaper, and because of its overall shorter wheel/tire height, it's like a gearing change on your final drive, to give you lower gears (higher numerically), resulting in better acceleration, though your top-end will be less. How many of us do the 149 mph the bike is generally credited-with, anyway?

Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_02.JPG Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_01.jpg

Last edited:
LCR Performance in Rochester, New York
+1, very reputable place, and they do nice work. I installed a pair on my Bro's bike and they were everything we could hope for. If I didn't already have Kosmans I'd surely consider LCR. Everything needed comes with the wheels. Including speedometer drive to compensate for the 17" wheel height.

I am from portugal,so ordering anything from common places to you guys is a no option for me...
So maybe best bet is to hollow the fzr hub intirely and then weld the vmax one? Any pic of it done?

Thanks for all the input!

Pretty sure that’s what’s on one of my friends bikes. FZR wheels.

They're thinwall and the cross-section is oval. Not the easiest thing to configure and to weld. A thicker, solid profile would be easier to machine and to weld, I would expect. Shop time is expensive. if a friend is doing it as a favor, and giving you a cheap rate, then it may-not matter.

I am from portugal,so ordering anything from common places to you guys is a no option for me...
So maybe best bet is to hollow the fzr hub intirely and then weld the vmax one? Any pic of it done?

Thanks for all the input!

Your best bet would be to look online, check out a few sites that actually to this type of work, like (cycle one-off). wouldn't hurt to talk to someone that,...actually machines them.

R6 Conversion first two pics
Busa Conversion last 4 pics
I've also seen ZX7 I think was the conversion.
None of them rewelded the spokes to the band. All of them used a custom insert that just fit inside of the donor hub

Attachments

• R6 Rear Wheel - Brake Side.jpg
    R6 Rear Wheel - Brake Side.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 38
  • R6 Rear Wheel - Drive Side.jpg
    R6 Rear Wheel - Drive Side.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 38
  • BusaMax-bare2.jpg
    BusaMax-bare2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 40
  • BusaMax-drive.jpg
    BusaMax-drive.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 34
  • BusaMax-parts.jpg
    BusaMax-parts.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 37
  • BusaMax-wave.jpg
    BusaMax-wave.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 37
Bolt-up 18" X 5-1/2" rear wheel, plug & play as-long as you don't try to install too-big of a tire. A 170 or 180 should fit fine, but a 190 or 200 would require making the swingarm notch bigger.

This uses a new rim and a donor VMax hub complete. No need to mess-around with non-standard brake rotors.
VMax 18 inch rear wheel.jpg

Last edited:
Friend is doing it just for the price of material if needed so its a good price.
Fzr wheels were choosed because they were free,as long as front end complete.
Plans for the bike is to install the fzr usd front and wheel,rear wheel,brace the swingarm and make some frame braces.
Installed last week stampeeders/hindle 4-1 exhaust so its a start...
Think i am going for the hollow center and wel the vmax hub,even if it needs to be cut in half and a new center spacer ix needef it would be easier to do.
Will pass this pics to him,and he decides whats the best way...

Thanks all,will add pics when finished

Friend is doing it just for the price of material if needed so its a good price.
Fzr wheels were choosed because they were free,as long as front end complete.
Plans for the bike is to install the fzr usd front and wheel,rear wheel,brace the swingarm and make some frame braces.
Installed last week stampeeders/hindle 4-1 exhaust so its a start...
Think i am going for the hollow center and wel the vmax hub,even if it needs to be cut in half and a new center spacer ix needef it would be easier to do.
Will pass this pics to him,and he decides whats the best way...

Thanks all,will add pics when finished

You’re friend is doing you a huge favor by not charging you. It should be fun to do as well. Going through the change over will give the bike better handling for sure. My friend does have fzr wheels on his, the only pic I have is with just a visible front, when I get a pic of the rear as well I’ll post that also. Good luck to you and hope the wheels come out awesome!

Attachments

• 3A265886-47EA-496F-BD6A-1AEE4E2EB7B3.jpeg
    3A265886-47EA-496F-BD6A-1AEE4E2EB7B3.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back