Help please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedMax

Reaction score
So I took my air box off to have a look at something and found a bigger problem. Any idea what happened here? Bike is new to me. E86ED993-0396-46A6-88D4-06C292FAA3BB.jpeg

That is screwed in place on to the other side in the fuel bowl. Whoever rebuilt the carbs screwed up. That has got to be fixed. You'll need a gasket kit at least.

Last edited:
Here you go:

1601914851747.png

This is the other side of your picture that the brass sleeve slides into. You see that flat head screw right above the float height marker? That is the screw that goes into that brass sleeve for the needle that holds it in place.

If you're lucky, the screw wasn't tightened and fell out and is sitting in the fuel bowl, so all you'll have to do is pull the bowl, push the brass sleeve back in and insert the screw and snug it up good.

Hopefully that is all that's wrong with it. People forget things sometimes. He may have hand tightened it to hold it in place and simply forgot to go back and snug it up with the screwdriver.

Thanks, already taking the carbs of to see what's hiding inside.

It did just become unscrewed thankfully. BUT....... the problem I was initially looking into, I changed plugs yesterday since I had no idea when they were changed last on one was totally clean like it had never been fired. So I tried to open the drain for that carb and no fuel come out. I opened the bowl for that carb and its totally dry hasn't been getting any fuel. I tried to blow through the fuel line to that carb, and nope it is blocked. I am new to carbs so where does the fuel actually enter fuel bowl? (noob question but gotta start somewhere right lol)

Just below 'but not' in Mr Parminio's pic above you can see the pivot for the float and immediately below that is the float needle valve which fits into the hole through which the fuel enters (the brass looking doofa).
The spigot to the left of this is where the fuel hose connects.

Thanks I got it figured out. The float valve was vey stuck so I removed and will be running a lot of carb cleaner through it. Any idea what might have caused this? It looks as though it has not received and fuel since the last time it was cleaned because the bowl is spotless. Is it safe to put that float valve back in once I clean it out good? The little valve on top functions in and out very smoothly.

I'm betting it's an aftermarket needle and seat valve. On those, the rubber is almost always larger than stock and winds up getting stuck or not opening far enough to let enough fuel in at full throttle.

I would take some emory cloth and buff that needle valve lightly around the edges to smooth it off a bit. Then take a pipe cleaner and give the valve area a good cleansing with some alcohol. Clean it until no color comes out of it.

Then put it back in and see if it slides back and fourth freely.

Just below 'but not' in Mr Parminio's pic above you can see the pivot for the float and immediately below that is the float needle valve which fits into the hole through which the fuel enters (the brass looking doofa).
The spigot to the left of this is where the fuel hose connects.

What are you talking about? It's right there.

1601914851747.png

If the carbs are so gummed-up that the float was stuck closed, I'd tear-down the carbs and put them into a ultrasonic tank to soak. Jet block out, needle sleeve out, (one was already out for you!) & both brass jets removed from each jet block. After the soak, ensure that all jets are fully-clean and unplugged.

VMax carbs disassembled for soaking.jpgVMax pilot jet.jpg

As you've found your one float valve to be gummed-shut, the ultrasonic tank soak should clean that out. I'd still take a look at the float valve seat, and use some spray carb cleaner in-there, and as mentioned a Q-tip from the float bowl side to see that all-traces of varnish and gas gum have been removed. That much gas grunge dried to a gummy residue says the carbs were left for a long time with gas in them.

The pilot jet with the wire sticking-out is to demonstrate that sometimes the red spray wand on you can of carb cleaner may-not be enough to clear the passageway.

Latest posts

Back