Help with a fuel leak.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieselfool

Reaction score
Hey guys. New owner here. Just bought my 05 last fall and only put a few hours on it before putting it away for the winter. When I started it last weekend I had fuel leaking from under the faux tank. When I removed it I found 2 rubber hoses on each side of the airbox running up from underneath and ending right near the intake. One of these was pouring gas as soon as it started and didn't stop until I shut it off. Any ideas?
Thanks.

If I understand correctly, it sounds like the vent hoses leaking. That reminds me to put them back on. It usually points to a stuck float, or unseated needle, debree in the needle/seat. Locate the hose that's flowing gas. Tapping on that carb near the fuel inlet with something soft like a hammer handel can sometimes work. Do take a light and check the inside of your tank for rust or debree.
Steve-o

1st Welcome to the forum..
On the top of each carb, there is an overflow outlet.
If any of your overflow needles are cracked from age, or debris causing it not to seat fully, your fuel system will not pressurize correctly and keep ejecting fuel out of that hose.

A simple test is to tap on the carb body that's leaking to see if you can free up the needle. Do this with a hard mallet or the handle of a hammer (don't use something metal.. don't want to crack the carb body). restart the bike to see if it stopped or reduced flow.

If you've never done it, you may have to replace your needles.
DSC02295.jpg
bndt_carb_kit.jpg

Back