Help with vehicle purchase, what do you think?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintard

Reaction score
Hey guys ive decided i need a new daily driver as my old bonneville isnt cutting it anymore.

I found a real good deal on a truck out of state, about 10 minutes from my family there. Im going to have my uncle test drive it, and if nothing shows up i will have a reason to go see the folks when i get off work next week. Ive done my research and its the best price for the truck with the miles it has that im going to find. The guy even acted like i could probably talk him down some.

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. 80k. fully loaded with full power, CD, A/C, Cruise, power rear window, tail gate extender, glass moonroof and alloy wheels. Sage Green paint with tan leather interior. Clean vehicle inside and out. Runs and drives good

I know its a 2001, but thats fine by me. Ive never paid over 6k for a vehicle nor will i ever pay over 6k for a vehicle of any kind.

I did a carfax on it, and turns out its a 1 owner vehicle, and its been traded in to a dealership then auctioned off to the guy who has it now.

Here is carfax report:

http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailRepo...9CvajghbPTUVhQH31JcNDzdbDgDaCTSi3&language=EN

It looks like its had some things fixed on it. Im curious if its possible to get ahold of the original owner of the truck and ask questions before buying it?

Attachments

• 2001sporttrac001.jpg
    2001sporttrac001.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2001sporttrac002.jpg
    2001sporttrac002.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 2001sporttrac003.jpg
    2001sporttrac003.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 2001sporttrac004.jpg
    2001sporttrac004.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 2001sporttrac005.jpg
    2001sporttrac005.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 2001sporttrac006.jpg
    2001sporttrac006.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 7
  • 2001sporttrac007.jpg
    2001sporttrac007.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 2001sporttrac008.jpg
    2001sporttrac008.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2001sporttrac009.jpg
    2001sporttrac009.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 9
Also the guy was real straight forward with me. He picked it up at an auction, and told me if he had to nitpick it to death the only thing he would be able to find wrong with it is the 2 scuffs in the paint which are in the pics below.

Attachments

• scratch 001.jpg
    scratch 001.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 8
  • scratch 002.jpg
    scratch 002.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 8
I suggest log into msnauto & search for user reviews - that's what I do when I buy a used car. Lots of bad posts, look out - lots of good posts, the odds are in your favor. My son's first car was a 91 Exploder & it was a great first car. Bad on gas, but it was bullet-proof reliable & he still talks about it years later.

it looks nice man, but i gotta agree with the guys above... when gas goes back up its gonna suck...

if you don't need a truck, maybe an AWD subaru or something would be good...

if you need a truck, there are def more reliable, nissan,toyota trucks out there that get better mileage, esp 2wd if you don't need the 4x4...

just my $0.02.

however, if you want that specific model, it looks to be in great shape. not very familiar with their quirks, but just like with anything else, jump on a forum and ask what to look for specific to that model...

thank you,

i was hoping maybe someone here that owned one would see this and give a holler. It does have a 4.0 and it gets 20mpg on the highway, 15 in town i believe. My car i have now averages about 22. Most people on the sport trac forums i found said about 18 is average for them, not too shabby! and the gas prices really dont matter because i wouldnt drive it that much. Im just sick of not having a truck but i still want to be able to haul people.

i just realized i forgot to post the price which is 6999 asking. also can anyone tell me if the carfax report link works for computers other than mine? Just curious

thank you,

i was hoping maybe someone here that owned one would see this and give a holler. It does have a 4.0 and it gets 20mpg on the highway, 15 in town i believe. My car i have now averages about 22. Most people on the sport trac forums i found said about 18 is average for them, not too shabby! and the gas prices really dont matter because i wouldnt drive it that much. Im just sick of not having a truck but i still want to be able to haul people.

i just realized i forgot to post the price which is 6999 asking. also can anyone tell me if the carfax report link works for computers other than mine? Just curious

My wife has a regular explorer, and it gets around 18-19. THe sport trac probably does a little better. NO issues with it at all. The carfax works here and it looks like the owner had it serviced at all of the regular intervals, so thats good news. I say if thats what you want go for it and good luck.

Latest posts

Back