hesitation at 5k when warm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vladthedog

Reaction score
So I know this topic has been covered various times, but want to make sure I understand what I think I should do before I proceed. I've been having the occasional stumble/hesitation when my bike is very warm (not overheating or anything, but fully in the warm zone), that if I run at about 5k rpm for a bit, and then hit WOT there is a slight hesitation before I get a kick in the pants. From what I've read that means it could be running a little rich. BTW my bike has the stage 7 with the vboost eliminated.

So misunderstanding what I read, I took in the A/F screws (were set at 2.5, and brought them all the way in to about 1.5 to test). This didn't fix my hesitation, but made it feel very underpowered under about 3k. I re-read some of the stuff I've bookmarked, and realized that my 5k hesitation probably has more to do with how my needles are set. I adjust the a/f screws back out to 2.5 and most of the low-end low power loss is eliminated (although I still notice it a bit when the bike is warm; it could have always been this way though and I'm just more conscious of it now).

From my understanding, you need less fuel the warmer things are running correct (which is why you have to choke the bike on a fresh cold start)? So I am a little confused why there is more oomph on low end when cold, but less when warm?

Anyway, my initial question, since I don't spend too much time at the 2-3k range ;-P Do I understand correctly that I actually should take my needles IN a bit (I assume my bike has needles with adjustments. if possible I probably don't want to go a whole "notch", but bump it in one and then shim). I haven't taken the carbs a part yet so not sure what I will see when I get there (but if they are already shimmed, I could try just eliminating the shims first, right?).

Does this sound like a good game plan, or am I off on something again? Thanks.

Its my understanding that as the bike becomes warm, it becomes slightly richer. And yes from what I know about needles....it sounds like your on the right track.

If you have the stock springs still, try putting them in and see if it gets better. I had the same problem and couldn't figure it out until I put an air/fuel gauge on the bike and saw that my slides were pulling too quick. Stock springs solved it, and it only took a few beers worth of time to put in!

Latest posts

Back