Hi all , front tyre size, Took my bike to the shop for a new front tyre.

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

Easydrifter

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the support, vmax people and motorcyclist in general are in a class of their on for sure !
I love my VMax but compared to my old Goldwing it rides like a plank. Its just the nature of the Beast and you have to get used to it.

Smithjs35

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the support, vmax people and motorcyclist in general are in a class of their on for sure !
Will try settings on shocks as I know there on stiffest setting now for my wife which was not on the bike at wobble speed.
I love my VMax but compared to my old Goldwing it rides like a plank. Its just the nature of the Beast and you have to get used to it.
Amen to that ! But the torque is my anxiety med and I love it. On an open road of course.

FREERIDER

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of front tires, how do you guys think a 100/90/18 would be on the front of a 2001 VMax? Too skinny or OK? I might get one just because it would match the Pirelli MT66 Route that I just put on the back.
Ive run 100/90/18 & 140/90/15 Metzler 880's for over 10 years. I do a lot of canyon carving and have found the easy turn in to be most comfortable. You can check out my pics to see them in action at steep lean angles. I got used to the feeling and never looked back.

patate657

Brownsville, tx
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Know just what you mean. My Goldwing rode like a Cadillac. My vmax rides like a Volkswagen on Steroids'.

Whiteflys

Reaction score
Hi all I have a radial on the front now and after going back to to bike shop they said they replaced with the same taken off . Z8 a later version at it was a z6. My rear is a ply and I never noticed anything having two different types of tyres, being radial up front and ply on the rear. Ran the bike for 4 years that way. Why is it not recommended? thanks for your time

Fire-medic

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is that circled in red?

View attachment 79681
looks like the handlebar pod from the left side

As to the question of 'ply' tire paired with a radial tire, where I understand 'ply' to mean, bias-ply tire: the handling characteristics of even different types of radial tires, when paired together, can make for dangerous handling characteristics. Same goes for mixing a bias-ply tire with a radial tire.

Yes, there are a few bikes which actually do mix them! But, that's something designed by engineers, and to deviate from their design may in and of itself, cause problems. I don't want to experience that. I once rode a bike which was using two different types of radial tires, and the handling was scary! No confidence whatsoever in its characteristics. I had previously ridden the bike with matching radial tires, and the handling was not in any way, bad, unstable, or scary. I recommended to the bike owner that he immediately switch the tires to same brand, same rubber compound, and same tire design. Look at any radial tire manufacturer, and I bet they all also manufacture bias-ply tires. Go to their websites searching for an answer on this and I doubt you will ever find anything but to use the same design, same compound, and same-as OEM size.

I doubt that a bike shop concerned for its financial welfare (defense from liability lawsuits) would allow mixing of bias-ply and radial tires on a bike, to be installed by their mechanics.

Last edited:

Whiteflys

Reaction score
Well they did . I wasnt aware as it was like that when I bought the bike and it was from the same bike shop that replaced the tyre. What would you do ? Thanks for your time.