Hi all. Looking to buy. Need some advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemini8026

Reaction score
Jeff in Sk, Canada here.

36 yr old male. 10+ years experience riding, but Im NOT a wrencher. My old man has been my mechanic for years, so forgive the lack of savvy!

Anyhow, currently riding a 76 CB750 after selling off a Z1000 years ago. Lost my love for biking , but now I am finding I miss it. I dont want a big fat cruiser, I dont want a sport bike, I dont want no dual sport. I want a fun , fast, muscle bike. Theres one option, A VMAX! *ok maybe other options, but I really love the vmax styling*

Found a buyer for my CB750, so now I have a few options locally.

#1. Checked this bike out today. AMAZING shape. Keep in mind price is CDN dollars and the mileage is based on Km.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ax/1164789824?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The rear tire has a mod that allows for sport rubber. Bike has ZERO corrosion and in very good shape. Owner has been good to it.

BUT, its a 99 and it has 44km on it. Thats roughly 27k miles for you Usa folks.

Is 27k miles fairly high?! He mentioned a drip of oil comes out after an hour ride, but other then that its great, and could be minor. Im not sure if I should hold out, and wait, or if this 4000 to 5000$ range is going to yield anything different. He mentioned the wheel mod alone was a pretty penny

Then there is this...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...le/1169194547?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Called owner and he sounds mature and the bike has been respected. Lower mileage, and a newer year. Would be willing to take a lower price as well.

Any advice. I want the best bike I can get for under 6k Cdn.

I really wish these bikes were fuel injected as carbs can be a pain, but I have a good mechanic with decent rates :)

I would go with the '99-first check for 2nd gear kicking out under hard acceleration.
Nice upgrade and looks well taken care of.
Personally not a fan of either corbin seat.

Really? I would have picked the 2005 for a few extra bucks even though it has less extras.
Not knowing where the "small" oil leak comes from on the '99, I wouldn't take a chance. Besides, the '99 with some of those extras, you just gotta think it had a "harder life.
Bought my 2006 5 years ago for $9000 CDN. It was MINT. No extras, stock except some laser cut stainless inserts for rad and scoops, I tore out and sold. Came with 2 nice Bell full face helmets and Yamaha shop manual. Yeah I paid a premium. BUT I KNEW it hadn't been beaten on.
It had 3800 kms or 2300 miles on it.
The way I looked at it was that I have an open slate to do what I wanted and not what someone else had thought was the bomb.
Good luck.

An anniversary edition with half the miles? Unless it is really abused and roached out that choice seems like a no-brainer.

Of course, the 99 is a real nice bike as well. Make this easy on yourself and buy both!

Thanks. The used market here TANKED a few years back. our govt insurance rates skyrocketed so bikes dropped in value big time. Works out good for a buyer, not so great for a seller. There are a LOT on the market.

The only issue is that the Vmax has held some value, but others have REALLY dropped. IE, I looked at a 2007 fuel injected M109 in mint shape for the same price as the vmax with less KM.

So I love the Vmax, but the M109 is newer, has newer tech *isnt as fast* but is still a nice machine. Same with bikes like the Raider.

Anyhow. Im being patient, and waiting to hear back on the 2005, as Its in mint shape and the seller will be in my area next week. HE is willing to take the 5k , so Im ok with that, but i also might get an M109 if the price is something I cant refuse.

The mileage on the 99 is not a concern. The only thing that bike has that interests me is the 17" wheel.

My thought would be to go after the '05. Its not much more. The guy said he would deal a little. He is giving you extras which can be sold to lower your total buy in even more.

The mileage on the 99 is not a concern. The only thing that bike has that interests me is the 17" wheel.

My thought would be to go after the '05. Its not much more. The guy said he would deal a little. He is giving you extras which can be sold to lower your total buy in even more.

+1

that 17" wheel though..:worthy:

I'd say you'd need to drive them...cosmetics are easy...motors & trany's not so much. However the '99 will "feel/drive" way better just because of the radials/fork mods already done...

Oil leaks can be a pain to track down, but are often just a cover leak...bring a strong LED with you and really look at the hard to see areas...

Jeff in Sk, Canada here.

36 yr old male. 10+ years experience riding, but Im NOT a wrencher. My old man has been my mechanic for years, so forgive the lack of savvy!

Anyhow, currently riding a 76 CB750 after selling off a Z1000 years ago. Lost my love for biking , but now I am finding I miss it. I dont want a big fat cruiser, I dont want a sport bike, I dont want no dual sport. I want a fun , fast, muscle bike. Theres one option, A VMAX! *ok maybe other options, but I really love the vmax styling*

Found a buyer for my CB750, so now I have a few options locally.

#1. Checked this bike out today. AMAZING shape. Keep in mind price is CDN dollars and the mileage is based on Km.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ax/1164789824?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The rear tire has a mod that allows for sport rubber. Bike has ZERO corrosion and in very good shape. Owner has been good to it.

BUT, its a 99 and it has 44km on it. Thats roughly 27k miles for you Usa folks.

Is 27k miles fairly high?! He mentioned a drip of oil comes out after an hour ride, but other then that its great, and could be minor. Im not sure if I should hold out, and wait, or if this 4000 to 5000$ range is going to yield anything different. He mentioned the wheel mod alone was a pretty penny

Then there is this...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...le/1169194547?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Called owner and he sounds mature and the bike has been respected. Lower mileage, and a newer year. Would be willing to take a lower price as well.

Any advice. I want the best bike I can get for under 6k Cdn.

I really wish these bikes were fuel injected as carbs can be a pain, but I have a good mechanic with decent rates :)
Thinking about buying a new bike and may sell my 02 max if I don't decide to keep 2 bikes. Email or text for details and pictures. 978-996-4417 [email protected]
My bike is kept inside the house, is meticulously maintained, adult ridden and never abused!
Bobby

Latest posts

Back