Hi

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limeyrider

Reaction score
Hi to the group, I have recently picked up a 1985 VMax, my very first Japanese bike, I will very likely be asking for help to get the bike in good shape. It has only 6700 miles on it, but has deteriorated from standing unprotected, i.e. seized master cylinders, clutch and brake.

Add the clutch slave cyl to that list:

Push Lever Comp

1FK-16381-11-00

Retail Price: $136.99

Your Price: $107.06

2006 Yamaha V-MAX 1200 (VMX12V) Clutch | Ron Ayers

A thread to help you: (118) Clutch slave cylinder replacement | Page 2 | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

I suggest buying new clutch and front brake master cylinders. Your life depends on their proper functioning, this is not a time to 'cheap-out.'

The shop manual in .pdf: VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net) Save it on your computer and print-out a copy for a loose-leaf binder.

Many questions answered, courtesy of RaWarrior: (118) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

MaxMidnight's contribution for electrical troubleshooting: (118) Maybe a charging problem? | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net) See #3

Thank you Fire-medic, good advice. I'm not used to having hydraulics on my bikes ..... all " old school" cable op's,

Remember we like to see stories of owners' work to fix their bikes. Pics we love lots of pics and info on how you were able to overcome something that was a problem. Remember to use the forum search function to research things you need to do, you may find info which helps you to do things easier, quicker, and cheaper. Cleaning a gas tank is one of those. On an old, neglected bike, I'd recommend removing it from the bike. If you either pay a shop to overhaul the carburetors, or try it yourself, without getting the gas tank clean, you're wasting your $ on the carb work.

(126) Coming out of long term storage. | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

If you don't get the gas tank completely-clean, the rust and crud will continue to clog your carburetors, and probably drive you to sell the bike, "ah it's a lemon!" I don't know your level of skills, and whether you have a garage or a shop to do the work yourself, but by reading the similar threads of the work you need to perform, you can save yourself the frustration of not being able to repair the bike well-enough to make it operate like it did as-new.

Though the design is 37 years old, you'd be hard-pressed to find something with as-much 'bang for the buck.' A decent runner for ~$3K which may need replacement of worn-out parts/consumables like tires, battery, brake pads, fork seals, oil changes, hydraulic systems being flushed or new master cylinders (I recommend replacement instead of rebuilds, that's my personal preference), and whatever else needs to be done, for about a five grand total investment, you can have a near 10-second quarter-mile bike which will surprise many much-newer bikes, and will embarrass your H-D friends.

Add the clutch slave cyl to that list:

Push Lever Comp

1FK-16381-11-00

Retail Price: $136.99

Your Price: $107.06

2006 Yamaha V-MAX 1200 (VMX12V) Clutch | Ron Ayers

A thread to help you: (118) Clutch slave cylinder replacement | Page 2 | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

I suggest buying new clutch and front brake master cylinders. Your life depends on their proper functioning, this is not a time to 'cheap-out.'

The shop manual in .pdf: VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net) Save it on your computer and print-out a copy for a loose-leaf binder.

Many questions answered, courtesy of RaWarrior: (118) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

MaxMidnight's contribution for electrical troubleshooting: (118) Maybe a charging problem? | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net) See #3
Hey FM, I just received an email from Ron Ayer’s that my clutch slave cylinder is on its way and I just realized I forgot to order a new gasket for the cover. Would you happen to have the part number for that from Ayer’s. I’m afraid I’m goin got order the wrong one. Your help is most appreciated.

Dan

Fir said:
Part #19:
Part #19:
Gasket, Crankcase Cover 2

3JP-15461-01-00

Retail Price: $4.99

Your Price: $4.51

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/500456a6f8700209bc79313d/crankcase-cover-1

3JP-15461-01-00
Tha tv
Part #19:

3JP-15461-01-00

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/500456a6f8700209bc79313d/crankcase-cover-1

At a push you could always make your own from gasket sheet.

If you are familiar with Allen Millyard, he does it all the time, Mark it out, cut out with a pen knife, punch holes with a hole punch. Yes, it's is more effort but is cheaper and quicker.

My two cents, all great advice because that's what you get here on the forum and the very best part is it comes freely. Did the clutch master and slave on my 2000 and followed fire medic's instructions. Wow, a different bike. I thought the clutch plates were bad, no way, she wants to break that back tires traction so easily. Be very careful in the rain ! Thanks, to all forum members that are eager to help.

Members like Sean Morley, CaptainKyle and dannymax are the subject matter experts, they get paid to fix VMaxes. However, they all also freely contribute to members' problems being solved. I'm a hobbyist, not a pro. mechanic, and I can offer advice on what I know, mostly due to my personal experiences after 29 years of VMax ownership.

I'm glad to see that members on here who have been able to get their bikes running properly also take the time to contribute to the site funding. Think where all of us would be without it. Sure, there are other websites, but many of those have been abandoned.

Latest posts

Back