high altitude riding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll run "okay" but mileage and power will be down.

Mark

I just finished a 1000km ride last month on a stock 05 max over the Canadian Rockies. On the 150 km trek from Calgary to Banff the bike seemed to lose power sporadically. I just gave it more throttle and managed to keep riding ahead. The power loss may have had something to do with the hail, rain and snow but then again I encountered this kind of weather throughout most of the trip. So that being said, it only seemed to happen at higher altitudes in the Banff AB and Golden BC areas.

An old biker I met in Salmon Arm BC told me that it was def the altitude causing the power loss and the only thing to do was to keep throttling through it (which I did). The lower altitude I got the better the bike ran and as Mark stated above, the max got much better gas mileage. The feeling of the power loss was like the fuel was being choked for a half second and then full power again. I remember thinking shit - it's either the altitude causing this or the fuel pump. After having the bike checked out here at home the tech told me it prolly was the altitude as the fuel pump was pristine.

Have a great ride!! Check your tire air pressure constantly. If it's raining, keep the frame straight up through those tunnels, they’re like freakin ice rinks in there. Wear an electric vest!! :thumbs up:

Back