high/low speed wobble question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced any type of wobble, after going to radials?

No wobble after radials.

Only experienced wobble 1 time while I had bias. It was shortly after purchasing the bike. Maybe 3K on the odometer. Seemed to kick in all of a sudden one day. It would show up around 50mph. Mostly when off the throttle. Pretty severe after hitting a bump in the road or having light/no grip on bars.

I was new to the vmax at the time and a member here. Read up on steering bearing adjustment. Followed Sean's method and haven't had a problem since.

I used to have a low speed wobble. I changed the steering head bearings, and have no problems now. I'm more curious to see if radial tires have all but eliminated this issue.

I had a bit of a wobble that I had before going to radials, and after going to radials it was the same. Tried all sorts of fixes and it was worse in sweeping turns to the left, but it would also make itself known at 130+ (It would be a sort of unsettling weave).

After looking at multiple issues, I found the swing arm bearings were loose (of course I didnt find this, until I was in the process of swapping in a braced swing arm).

I had a bit of a wobble that I had before going to radials, and after going to radials it was the same. Tried all sorts of fixes and it was worse in sweeping turns to the left, but it would also make itself known at 130+ (It would be a sort of unsettling weave).

After looking at multiple issues, I found the swing arm bearings were loose (of course I didnt find this, until I was in the process of swapping in a braced swing arm).

I have the same wobble but it starts at around 85-90 ish and I never pushed it beyond that. A head bearing adjustment helped quite a bit, picked up a spanner from Gary Dingy (great dude) so adjustment is a snap. I'm ready to go to All Balls head bearings/races if I must. Did it on the Venture and that was a win.

I have some crappy cupped Metzler 880/888 tires and plan to switch to Dunlop D3s before the riding season gets under way. I fully expect this to solve the shimmy since head bearings are adjusted and swingarm bushings are tight.

I'm also curious if radials solve the shimmy then has it only masked a problem that still exists?

Latest posts

Back