high octane fuel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vmax190

Reaction score
anybody else out there run the 112 octane fuel, i have heard it is good to run and bad to run, advice needed. dave the retard.

Dave, the max is set up to run 87 octane (regular unleaded) in stock configuration. Anything higher is just a waste IMO.

Mike

I've tried 87, 89, 91 and 93, a full tank at a time, doing pretty constant highway miles.

The resulting difference was simple: the cost on each receipt for the same amount of fuel.

In terms of performance, mpg, smell, color or whatever else, it all amounted to zilch, nada.

So I'm sticking with 87 - Maxine nods and agrees with my wallet.

High Octane fuels are for engines that have high compression such as 11:5:1 and +
The VMAX engine is low compression so high octane fuels arent burnt clean and leave carbon on the internal componets such as valves stems, seals exhaust ports.
Unless you want to feel as you have a race bike and smell that race gas your wasting your money! People that run race gas and say they have more power are most likely the ones riding around with holes drilled in there exhaust thinking it increased the power.

talk about throwing your timing off exhaust valves must be loving it

High octane fuels rob power. The lowest that you can run without detination is going to get you the best power.

from brock davidson's zx14 diary when he got his first test bike...

"4:45PM - Depart for our dyno facility. Stop for 2 gallons of 89 octane fuel, although the sticker says 90 minimum. I hate 92 octane, it kills power! I want to run 87, but I?ll play it on the safe side with 89 on the new ride. Who knows if it will ping when it gets hot?"

He later figured out that the 14 makes best power (pump gas wise) on 87 octane.

Wow glad you mentioned about the ZX14R engine since its so close to the VMAX engine. But you did mention the best advice on fuel.

"The lowest that you can run without detination is going to get you the best power"

So I will just shut up before I get into trouble..

:404:

High octane fuels rob power. The lowest that you can run without detination is going to get you the best power.

from brock davidson's zx14 diary when he got his first test bike...

"4:45PM - Depart for our dyno facility. Stop for 2 gallons of 89 octane fuel, although the sticker says 90 minimum. I hate 92 octane, it kills power! I want to run 87, but I?ll play it on the safe side with 89 on the new ride. Who knows if it will ping when it gets hot?"

He later figured out that the 14 makes best power (pump gas wise) on 87 octane.

If a zx14 with 12:1 compression can run 87... I would think that what brock said would be relevant to a v-max as well since it has 10.5:1 ;).

I wouldn't expect you to not call me out on the zx14 thing, but It was meant for him to see what one of the best tuners in the world and the maker of the fastest street pipes had to say about the subject.

You do know who brock davidson is right yankee? ;)

If a zx14 with 12:1 compression can run 87... I would think that what brock said would be relevant to a v-max as well since it has 10.5:1 ;).

I wouldn't expect you to not call me out on the zx14 thing, but It was meant for him to see what one of the best tuners in the world and the maker of the fastest street pipes had to say about the subject.

You do know who brock davidson is right yankee? ;)

That is a good camparison, even though the ZX14 is fuel injection. Compression is the key with high octane fuels.
I don't know Brock Davidson, is he the brother of Harley Davidson?
LOL!! I know of Brock Exhaust and have seen them, but I cant say I have studied the guy.

If you ever get a chance, go read some of his diaries about the 14 and the new busa. He does great work, and has THE BEST customer service of anyone i've ever met. I'm buying an exhaust when I get my income tax money this year and I e-mailed his customer service desk with a couple of questions at like 1AM on a sunday morning. Brock himself e-mailed me back at 8AM same day. I've now got about 15 e-mails from him lol.

That is a good camparison, even though the ZX14 is fuel injection. Compression is the key with high octane fuels.
I don't know Brock Davidson, is he the brother of Harley Davidson?
LOL!! I know of Brock Exhaust and have seen them, but I cant say I have studied the guy.

The brother of Harley Davidson is Broke Davidson.:biglaugh:

I have a small grass airport near where I live. I thought I would try some aviation, so I did. Mixed it with pump gas 3 to 1. It ran hotter and more power. The old VMAX had a new kick. I don't know what octane rating but it didn't have any corn syrup in it. $5.50 per gallon.
Dave #3505 VMOA

i have never put anything lower than 93 in my 06, i have always thought the higher the better, i guess i was wrong, one more reason to look forward to spring. dave

Dont worry Dave your in the large community of ignorant people, but we still like ya buddy! You bring a new light to this forum

i have never put anything lower than 93 in my 06, i have always thought the higher the better, i guess i was wrong, one more reason to look forward to spring. dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back