High RPM

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldgsxr

Reaction score
I’m new to the VMax and love it. But, at 60 MPH it’s turning 4000 RPM. That seems like a lot to me and wonder how long I can ride on the highway at 75 MPH.

Just to give you an idea, if you get 35 mpg, and the red 'low-fuel' light comes-on at 3 gallons consumed (4 gallon capacity) then that's 105 miles, and about 1 hr. 24 min. Better than 35 mpg, a bit-further down the road, and a bit more-time in the saddle.

Our British friends can engage their Laycock de Normanville overdrive (top-two gears!), unbolt the windscreen, adjust it to LeMans (laydown)-position, don your split-lens goggles, cinch-down your 'pudding-bowl' cork helmet, and have at-it.

Catch a ferry across The Channel, motor to Department de Sarthe the first part of Juin, and show those stuffy Continentals the value of Donald Healey's engineering prowess.

Austin-Healey-100-M-BN1-1954-ice-blue-02-0835426d.jpg

Last edited:
I’m new to the VMax and love it. But, at 60 MPH it’s turning 4000 RPM. That seems like a lot to me and wonder how long I can ride on the highway at 75 MPH.

A lot compared to...?

4K is just over fourty percent of the maximum revs so no issues there.

If your worried bout extra fuel get the schwabenmax 5.3 gal fuel cell upgraded a little pricey but worth it

From my old hot rodding days, I recall a (perhaps arbitrary) threshold of 3500 ft per minute mean piston speed running cast pistons. Juggling numbers in a piston speed calculator using the 66 mm stroke of the Vmax, something just under 8500 RPMs puts you at that level of piston speed. I know there are more variables involved, but sustained operation at 50% of rated maximum wouldn't be a problem. Not even close. For brief excursions into and beyond that territory ... think drag racing ... There is a little more forgiveness in the "threshold", but it's not a precise science.

You can swap in a venture rear drive and if you really want to drop the revs, get a taller set of gears too.
I have both, 75/80 mph is about 4k rpm,

Latest posts

Back