High RPMS no pull

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86MaximusPrime

Reaction score
Hey my vmax just started acting up on me and im not sure what i should do...it has High RPMS but no real pull...takes me forever to get to highway speeds ...but just yesterday i was at 60 MPH in first gear no problem at around 6k RPM...now its hangin out at 20 MPH first gear 6k RPM... ??? Any Ideas?

Bump bike against a sturdy wall, start, and shift to 5th gear. Rev to 3-4500 rpms and dump clutch. If bike continues to run then it's the clutch. If it stalls, clutch is fine.

Make sure your float bowl vents are mounted correctly and clear.

Another thing is i feel it start to pull then stop and start then stop...its like the bike is trying to go ... I hear the RPMS randomly increase and decrease without any throttle movement...could this be a carb issue?

whoah.. u said you had your bike at 60mph in first gear at 6k rpms? you SURE you weren't in second? or third?

this bike hauls...im sure i was in first..this bike is a beast...also i just checked the oil and im not familiar with how much oil there should be...it had an after market filter on top so there wasnt a dip stick but i stuck a screw driver about 5-6 inch deep and its bone dry....could it be an oil issue? if so...how much oil should i add and what type?

It is your clutch and not carbs from the sounds of things. The reason the rpms go up and down is it trying to catch and then slipping again

this bike hauls...im sure i was in first..this bike is a beast...also i just checked the oil and im not familiar with how much oil there should be...it had an after market filter on top so there wasnt a dip stick but i stuck a screw driver about 5-6 inch deep and its bone dry....could it be an oil issue? if so...how much oil should i add and what type?

Look on the right side of the bike under the waterpump and there is a small window. With the bike on the center stand your oil level should show in the window near or at the top line on the side of the window. Sticking a screwdriver in through the fill hole will not tell you the oil level at all.

so i need to find a sturdy wall and get to 5th gear and 4k rpms to drop clutch and see if engine shuts off...i know in 1st gear if i dont give it throttle it will shut off real quick...hmmm

well i couldnt see any liquid movement in the oil window...

The window should be clear so if it is black, it is probably slightly overfull of oil, and if the window looks clear of oil you may be a bit on the low side for sure. A good thing right now might be to just do an oil change before you do anything else and risk damage if you are low on oil. Dump the oil that is in there, put on a fresh filter, and add 4qts of whatever oil you regularly use. If this is the first time you have done the oil there are lots of threads here on oil selection so I won't go over that, but just fyi I use Castrol 20-50wt motorcycle oil with great results. If your bike is out of oil, it is probably a burned up clutch and I would begin to worry about bearing damage in the engine too......

Dang...im not hearing great things...it seems out of oil....or really low on oil...which might explain the clutch....so ill do an oil change first and hopefully if the clutch is burnt out then there is no bearing damage...

The oil window looks brown..barely can see if any liquid movement is there...i know near the oil fill hold theres fresh oil from when i rev i think it shoots out a bit...

The next time you drain the oil turn the key on and see if the oil light comes on, this will tell you if the light is working. When the light is working and the oil level is a little low you will get this light when you accelerate hard.

OK looks like friday i will be getting oil and what not, i have duty tomorrow so i wont be home until WED night then i got other things so i will get the oil change, and other fluids if needed then come back here to post the result

I don't want to sound like a butt head but you either aren't very experienced with bikes or maybe just not very confident on this one.

just in case it's overlooked the bike needs to be upright and not on the sidestand when checking the oil level. This wasn't mentioned before as it's normally common knowledge for most bikes. BUT, as I said the questions you have tend to make me not want to overlook this. It's ok being a rookie just want to make sure we help you the best we can.

Sean

i don't want to sound like a butt head but you either aren't very experienced with bikes or maybe just not very confident on this one.

Just in case it's overlooked the bike needs to be upright and not on the sidestand when checking the oil level. This wasn't mentioned before as it's normally common knowledge for most bikes. But, as i said the questions you have tend to make me not want to overlook this. It's ok being a rookie just want to make sure we help you the best we can.

Sean
+1

I don't want to sound like a butt head but you either aren't very experienced with bikes or maybe just not very confident on this one.

just in case it's overlooked the bike needs to be upright and not on the sidestand when checking the oil level. This wasn't mentioned before as it's normally common knowledge for most bikes. BUT, as I said the questions you have tend to make me not want to overlook this. It's ok being a rookie just want to make sure we help you the best we can.

Sean

+2

You can even install an oil pressure gauge with the bike full of oil and on its sidestand and not spill a drop.

Back